cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrgsjames
Message 1 of 8

Youview+ box no sound on TV

Go to solution

Got my Youview+ box through yesterday.  Set it up fine in the bedroom where I have a cheap Samsumg TV.

However I wanted to watch Netflix on the TV in my living room and I can't get any sound.  The HDMI cable is fine as I get sound when I connect my laptop, however I get no sound whether plugged in direct to the TV or through the AV receiver.

I've checked that the volumes are all up and all the connections; everything else I plug in works fine.

Took the box up to the bedroom to check if it was working Ok, and it was fine.  Wondering if there is a compatability issue or if there is a setting I need to change.

The TV it wont work with is a Panasonic a P42G20, the AV receiver is a Yamaha DSP AX763.

Thanks in advance for your helop

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Youview+ box no sound on TV

Go to solution
Fiddle with sound & display settings on the box there's a stereo or surround option, try another HDMI port on TV,
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
ensure hdmi cable is plugged firmly and fully in both ends.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@mrgsjames wrote:

Got my Youview+ box through yesterday.  Set it up fine in the bedroom where I have a cheap Samsumg TV.

However I wanted to watch Netflix on the TV in my living room and I can't get any sound.  The HDMI cable is fine as I get sound when I connect my laptop, however I get no sound whether plugged in direct to the TV or through the AV receiver.

I've checked that the volumes are all up and all the connections; everything else I plug in works fine.

Took the box up to the bedroom to check if it was working Ok, and it was fine.  Wondering if there is a compatability issue or if there is a setting I need to change.

The TV it wont work with is a Panasonic a P42G20, the AV receiver is a Yamaha DSP AX763.

Thanks in advance for your helop

So you have it working ok with the Samsung TV but not the Panasonic.

Ignoring the amp just now - if you connect the YV box directly to the TV have you tried different HDMI ports?

I assume it's not something obvious e.g. the default sound setting on your TV for HDMI port <whatever>isn't set to mute as you were passing sound directly to amp for that port?

Check the following setting: YouView button then Settings, TV Signal & Quality and check what you have HDMI Audio Format set to as if you have it set to 'Surround' volume controls on the YV box won't work. Although if you did have this set I doubt it would work properly with your Samsung TV...

It may also be worth a look at: https://www.avforums.com/threads/no-sound-output-through-hdmi2-or-optical-on-panasonic-tx-p42g20b.16...

mrgsjames
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi I've tried all four HDMI ports, changed the HDMI cable and checked that it works with with my PS3 and laptop - both are working fine.

I've changed the audio settings to Stereo and surround and back again, that hasn't worked.

I've chaged the video output to 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

I have done all of the above connected to my AV receiver and connected directly to my TV

What is confusing me is that the Youview box wont work with either the TV direct, or through the amp, yet I have no problems with anything else plugged into either AND the youview box works fine upstairs on a cheap Samsung TV.

Then I reset the box to factory settings, thinking it was set up for the Samsung in some way.  All of a sudden I have sound! Don't know why that would be, but it worked. Thanks anyway guys

MikeT100
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you mrsgsjames for the final solution and all those that suggested other things to try along the way. 

I have just had had the same problem changing from a Sony to a Samsung TV; picture, but no sound. I tried all of the suggestions, but the only one that worked was a Factory Reset of the Youview box. The puzzle was that I could get sound using a DVD player in any of the ports, so I knew it was not the TV settings. Lost all my recordings of course, however, worth it to get the new TV fully operational. 

Great help having this forum. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
fisher1976
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi everyone, I've just found the forums because I've this exact same problem 😞

Recently switched to an LG tv from a Sony, although I very occasionally had the issue with the previous TV - basically, sometimes I turn on the TV and BT box, and everything looks fine but no sound!  Switching hdmis does nothing, nor does the usual recommendations about settings.

It's usually resolved itself by a the usual turn-off-and-on solution, but I had the issue arise this morning, and this time seemingly nothing would sort it out.

I saw the comment about turning off the UltraHD setting on the LG...this did something but the sound just came out as a stuttering screech.

I was about to do a factory reset...loathed as it wipes all recordings aand I'd got a lot saved up...when I found that if I went into the BT TV page (i.e.the BT store place), the sound magically came on again and all was fine.

Irritating as hell...don't know if any BT engineers have figured out a more comprehensive solution?!

0 Ratings
Hornets_Nest
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

My Youview box used to occasionally lose sound to my KDL-46W4500 Sony Bravia (which displayed an unsupported audio device message) an I simply turned the box on and off again and it was OK - the problem usualy manfisted itself if I switched channels soon after swiich on.

Ths week however it has happened THREE times - it is running 3.2.62 software - I was wonedring if a firmware update has caused this problem. 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings