cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikegc1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Youview box software update

My Youview box is getting lots of failed recordings and I suspect it needs a software update. When I  check the DEVICE MANAGEMENT it tells me SOFTWARE UPDATE - Last checked 7th December 2018. But when I check the SYSTEM INFIRMATION > SOFTWARE VERSIONS it says Latest Update Never. It tells me that my Youview box is using these versions of its software:

Manufacture software : 17.10.10

Component software : 2.4.0

Platform Confiuration : 910

Device Information : DTRT2110

My Youview box is not connected to the internet/router only Freeview Ariel. 

What do I need to do to get the software updated to the latest correct version?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Youview box software update

Hi @Mikegc1 ,

that software version dates back to about late 2014.

Youview Box software updates are all  delivered via an internet connection so without one you will not receive updates. Now Youview has a very different user interface  these days  and to experience the full experience an aerial and internet connection is required.as you have such a old version of the old generation  Youview the migration path to the latest new generation Youview may not be straightforward.

First can I ask whether  connecting the Youview box to the internet/router  is an option for you first as a one off  and secondly on a permanent basis ?

Mikegc1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

thanks for the prompt reply.

I could connect it it to my router by cable if I disconnect from the tv and move it next to the router. Or could I connect it via WIFi?

0 Ratings
Mikegc1
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Sorry forgot to add.

i I don’t think I can connect it permanently because my router is too far from the tv. But it might be possible in a few months time when I get a better connection and have it installed next to the tv. Currently my broadband is very, very slow.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

How fast or slow is the broadband speed currently and is it with BT  ?

0 Ratings
Mikegc1
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

The BT broadband is very slow. My village is about 5 miles from the exchange I have never been able to use the internet for BBC Iplayer for example.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Well if you do connect the Youview box to the router then it is possible that when it is next restarted it will check and initiate a Youview software update, Otherwise you may be able to trigger a manual check for an update. However as your box is running such an old version of software it is possible that it will not find the update. In which case  a maintenance mode update (mode  4 Internet recovery)  would need to be done to retrieve the latest software.

If it does update the next Gen Youview User Interface will look very different.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

@zulu17wrote:

If it does update the next Gen Youview User Interface will look very different.

Indeed it will - tiles instead of lists , missing features etc .

It also requiries permanent internet connection to work effectively whereas with the version you have it's not a problem.

As you're not connected to the internet then the failed recordings you experience are probably not connected to the general,major problem that started in April after an unknown party made a change somewhere on the internet side that in recordings failing.

I would recommend that you do a maintenance mode reset - see here for guidance:- Maintenance Mode

Use option 2 initially and maybe option 3 as a final resort.

The other options need internet connection and will update your box to the very latest version.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Best left on OldGen, in my opinion. If you connect it the Internet, it will probably download the new firmware from Humax, and you will be forced onto the NewGen software, unless you block a few web domains.

0 Ratings