cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Youview box

Go to solution

My contract expires in April. I would like to know if I decide to cancel BT TV but keep broadband, can I keep the youview box and will it work as a standard Freeview box?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Youview box

Go to solution

Should work fine as just a freeview box, without the need for a subscription. My old one worked (freeview only) after I cancelled my previous BT TV contract.

If you signed up and got your box before 13 December 2019, then you own it now. If it was after 13 December 2019, then technically, you only rent it from BT and are on the hook to return it at the end of contract or you could be charged for not returning it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. Unfortunately I signed up in April 2020 so presumably I would have to return it then?. Seems odd if I'm still having BT broadband. Maybe I could keep it for a small purchase fee?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Yeah, if you don't return it within a certain timeframe (I think 60 days), they will charge you for it. I'm not sure how much it is for the Youview boxes, but the SmartHub 2 non-return fee is £50, so can't imagine the Youview box would be much different.

I find customer services generally quite good. I've had a couple of occasions where I called them and they just cancelled the charge for non-return of the SmartHubs. After the automatic return request is generated, it's worth a quick call to customer services just saying that you want to continue using the equipment without subscription and therefore don't want to return it; can they cancel the non-return charge. If they agree, make sure you ask them to send you a text message or email to confirm, because I've had it before where they agreed, but the charge did not get cancelled and then I had to call back up and they ask if you had any confirmation.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Ok that's brilliant. Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

You're welcome.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Looking at the Bt tariff guide at the moment  the non return equipment charge for loaned BT TV boxes is

When you end the BT TV service you must return the BT Set Top Box that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £60 for a YouView Box (Z4), £89 for a YouView+ Box (G4) or £115 for a YouView+ Ultra HD Box.

Note that  also in BT T&Cs

Payment of the non-return equipment charge does not transfer ownership,

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks but BT have agreed they will remove any return charge for me and I've got it in writing from live chat.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@zulu17 Thanks for the info. Good to know!

@Radders40 Glad to hear they will sort it out for you. Obviously note that as zulu17 points out, the T&Cs state ownership of the equipment technically does not transfer to you. But I doubt they will ever chase you for the equipment back.

Despite all of the negativity on forums about BT customer service, I have always found them to be very understanding and helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

To be frank I am surprised that Customer services are giving such information , obviously over time some equipment may be obsolete and BT may change it policies.

0 Ratings