cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Youview boxes

We have one Youview box connected to internet and used as normal.  We have another in another room we use to watch tv and record (not connected to internet) which isn’t working properly.  
Went onto BT site to buy another and they are discontinued, is there an alternative that Bt supply please.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Youview boxes

In what way is it not working properly?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Barneshouse 

BT TV and Youview are going through a transition period at the moment.

In days gone by Youview was more of an open TV platform, and it was possible to buy what was referred to as a "retail" Youview box, but things have changed.

Youview is now focused on supporting BT and their TV service.

BT also recently moved to a rental model for their TV boxes, meaning less up front costs for the box, but they retain ownership, meaning the box has to be sent back to BT if you cancel your TV service.

What this means is that Youview boxes are now only really available from BT as part of a subscription.

I'm sure that there may be some shops that have old stock of Youview boxes, and there is of course places for picking up second hand boxes.

Just as an end note, you say that box that is playing up in not connected to the internet.

That may be why it is playing up, Youview boxes really need to be on the internet to work at their best, they get regular software updates that bring not only new features, but fix many bugs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 6

You can still buy YouView boxes from Humax although, irritatingly, if you use them on BT internet, they display BT branding.  I have one, connected to the internet as well as my ex-BT box both of which work perfectly.  The BT box is less sensitive and has lost channels in the recent swap round.  I don't watch streamed channels, just broadcast and occasionally Netflix (mainly junk).

Or has something happened that I've not picked up?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

We have had it for several years it’s actually the previous box , a Humax,  and it used to be main box but we got one of the newer ones.  Never had any problems using the Humax as a second box to just use as a recorder or watch live tv but it’s suddenly taken to not turning on with the control or pushing the orange lighted button on the front.  I have to switch off at the wall and switch on again for it to work. It’s still recording and everything. Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 6

I have my (retail) Humax box connected to the internet - it seems to work better and we get the wee pictures on the list of recordings.  When the boxes fail, I shall probably switch to Freeview+/Play.  To be honest I really only watch BBC4 HD.  The Panasonic TV is much better on its own than either box - much faster to start and moving thumbnails on Netflix.  So recording is all I need boxes for.

0 Ratings