Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
axpetts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Youview linear channels - clarification on Non BT Sport channels

Hi.

I have search on the forums and cannot find an answer to my questions regarding the announced extra channels that BT are to make available (MTV, Discovery, FX etc..)

Are the extra channels to be made available to Youview subscribers this summer along with BT Sport, or will they arrive at a later date? I have only seen info on the BT Sport channel.

I currently subscribe to the TV Unlimited package along with unlimited Infinity, will the new linear channels be included with this package, or are BT planning on charging extra for the new channels?

Any info on this topic would be much appeciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Youview linear channels - clarification on Non BT Sport channels

They should all be coming in the summer, but there is no more information than that at the moment.

Of course they will be charging for them. They aren't going to give them away for free.... But again there is no information on what this will be for Youview owners, probably the same as Vision owners, but there is no confirmation on this.
0 Ratings
axpetts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

It's a shame they are not being a little more forthcoming with information. Though I am sure BT sport will bring in customers, extra content not available on freeview is what I am most interested in.

I did assume that the extra channels would not be free, though I am hoping that those of us on the most expensive Vision subsriptions will not have to fork out much more than we already are!

0 Ratings
brightspark
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

You need three thing to get the extra linear channel,

1/. Infinity

2/. Exchange multicast enabled

3/. A Youview box software update.

The software update is suppose to be early summer, no more definitive than that.

Cost is

Vision Essentials increases to £7

Vision Unlimited increases to £15

0 Ratings
axpetts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for that. An extra £3 a month for teh linear channels seems a bargain really. I just hope BT hurry up and release the software update already!

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@axpetts wrote:

Thanks for that. An extra £3 a month for teh linear channels seems a bargain really. I just hope BT hurry up and release the software update already!

the update will be from Youview originally to make the box compatible for IP channels - until that time we won't get it - but looking at the latest update it is detailing if found 'internet channels', so we could be moving that way soon

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Yep - looks like we could now have the required updated software. It is 2 major versions above the last release (gone from v10 to v12).

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 8 of 12

I bought my YouView box back in October last year and just under two weeks ago added the BT Vision player unlimited TV to my YouView box for  £10 a month and got a discount on my BT Infinity evening and weekend call package for the next 16 months.

Will I be able to get the new basic channels when they came to YouView and maybe get a discount like I do the now for the Vision Player as I bought the YouView box myself. I also heard elsewhere that for the new channels powerline adapters maybe no good. My YouView box is in the living room and my home hub and modem is next to my desktop PC in my back bedroom up stairs.

Darren

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Whether or not you can use power line adapters depends on your speed. Plug an Ethernet cable into the home plug and into your computer and test the speed. I get 30mb. The channels play just fine without being directly connected to the hub.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

@stuartrogerson wrote:
Whether or not you can use power line adapters depends on your speed. Plug an Ethernet cable into the home plug and into your computer and test the speed. I get 30mb. The channels play just fine without being directly connected to the hub.

Just to add though, BT have said Powerline Adapters are not supported, so if you do get the channels and have problems, you may not get any help and will be stuck in a contract for the duration.

0 Ratings