cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesC
Expert
Message 1 of 4

Youview + or Youview UHD box?

Was thinking of going for a UHD box to replace my current BT Vision box having just purchased a new Samsung 48" 4K TV which really emphasises how poor the picture quality is on the Sky Sports SD channels. In contrast, the BT Sport HD channels are pretty impressive - I believe my TV may 'upscale' them too. However, looking into the negatives of the UHD box - need for it to be connected by cable/if engineer will install cable externally/reported problems with Samsung 4K TVs & I'm wondering if going for the regular Youview+ box which has the Sky Sports channels in HD may be the easier option. I can them connect via my existing powerline adaptors which work fine with HD channels. I wonder anyway if the difference between 4K content & (possibly upscaled) HD content will be that noticeable on a 48" screen? Any thoughts ?
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
nickmorc
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Youview + or Youview UHD box?

Mmmm, difficult due to the possible issues with the UHD box vs the Samsung Tv. It dosnt effect all Samsungs and yours might be ok.

Samsungs responce to me was that it was BTs problem and not theirs !, not very helpful when I had just spent £750 on one of their TVs.

On a positive note, the picture is stunning when using Netflix / Amazon Prime etc.

BT has also lost Fox Channel, if that worries you.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Thanks 🙂 Yep, if I didn't have the problems of wanting any cabling to be external too, I'd be tempted. I did get a free 6 month subscription of Netflic UHD package with the TV (which I've yet to activate/set up) so might see how that works over wireless connection first.

Must admit that the HD freeview channels & BT Sport HD channels are pretty amazing already - I believe they may be upscaled by the TV - so may well go for the regular box to start with at least & perhaps later if I've installed a Cat6 (?) externally myself, then give the UHD box ago.

I wonder what BT's take on this is - if for example the problem with Samsung TVs cant be resolved, will they let one 'downgrade' to the regular box?

FWIW, my TV is a Samsung UE48JU7000T.

0 Ratings
MitoMan
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi  i am in the same boat as you regarding Samsung [js8500] and BT UHD box. I agree with you that Youview provides a good picture [don't have Sky] Think i am going to leave UHD box till next year when all the bugs are ironed out. 

0 Ratings