Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stkw11
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Youview picture too dark - On Demand buffering problem and Humax box locking

Go to solution

Hi - I'm new to Youview but not to BT Broadband.  So when my Humax box arrived Thursday I had everthing installed and working with 20 minutes.  I have a 3 year old Sony 32 inch Freeview TV (not latest tech but with HDMI) - so was looking forward to HD, on demand and programme recording - all in one package.   So really disappointed with some of the basic problems.   

i)The standard Freeview output from the Humax box is nowhere near as sharp as the Sony internal Freeview - and the picture is much much darker (from all sources, HD , on Demand).  I have to increase brightness from 60% to 100% to get a similar picture -  

ii)Despite resetting my home hub checking my broadband speed (6Mb) and all connections (and tunring off my PC and all other devices) every time I try and watch On Demand or Catch up I get significant buffering problems and picture freezing completely.  This is across all th eplayers BBC ITV C5 ect.  

iii)The Humax box has locked up twice while in buffering mode - and can only be sorted by turning power off.  This has been of an eveing mostly - so the Broadband may be busier - but its either the Humax or the BT BB service.  The same thing has happened in testing this morning. 

Any ideas- is the picture issue fixable in the Humax box? And can anything be done to sort out the buffering on the various players - as this doesn't seem to be a Broadband service issue?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: Youview picture too dark - On Demand buffering problem and Humax box locking

Go to solution
Hi stkw11,

Are you still having trouble with this? Are you using powerline adaptors or a connection directly to your hub?

Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
stkw11
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Youview picture too dark - On Demand buffering problem and Humax box locking

Go to solution
Hi Chris - I was using powerline adaptors but tonight moved the BT hub downstairs and directly connected. Still the same buffering problems - even though the BT speed tests are consistently showing download speed of over 6Mb. - I have managed to get this up from 5Mbps by installing an iPlate and some minor wiring changes. The lock-up hasn't happened again though - but the 4oD service keeps telling me I haven't enough bandwidth. I've been testing the same show from Sunday night to keep parameter changes to a minimum. I have actually now connected my PC in the attic office back up using the powerline adapters in reverse - and am still getting download speeds to the PC at over 6Mbps! We don't have other PCs in use and I have turned off this PC when trying to use Youview on demand. So its is either the BT Home hub or broadband service that won't keep streaming at the download speed - or the Humax box and player apps that haven't got enough processing power to accept the data. I have just completed some more tests and at 10pm my speed had dropped to 5 mbps - but surely that should still be Ok to use on demand? Frustrating - and can't see an easy solution as I've deployed all the helpful hints and tips on the various forums.
0 Ratings
stkw11
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

New software 10.6.0 seems to fix all the youview buffering problems!!!! Tonight I can actually use on demand uwithout freezing the humax box.  So allthose frustrated forum contributors check out the new release. Stop press - got one short buffer delay on BBC hd, but this wouldn't even start yesterday.  Hope this does prove to be a sea change for the catch up features - congrats if it does!!!

0 Ratings