cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anjasola
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Youview recording.

Thinking  of joining BT but TV starter package comes with non recordable box, can I just substitute with a Youview+ box and record? ( A friend has a Youview+ box which he will give me.)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
HaggisUK
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Youview recording.

I bought a BT youview+ box thinking the channels could be activated on the day of sign up...as I really wanted to see the rugby in HD. The guy told me I'd have to use the box sent out by BT and I couldn't use my Currys bought box. I argued that it said I could on the box but he consulted a manager twice and came back saying I couldn't. So I packed the box up and took it back to Currys and good a refund. I'm now using the box provided by BT.

The only difference I could see between the 2 box is that the direction + OK buttons on the remote are silver....where as they were black on the Currys box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Anjasola
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for that , I'm getting confusing advice from BT chat.

All I want to do is record Starter Pack programmes I would have thought a BT Youview+ box would do that but as yet I don't have the answer. Just to confirm the Youview+ box my friend has was supplied by BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Currently you can replace a BT supplied Youview box with an alternative Youview or Youview+ box.   So technically there is no current issue in doing so.

Potentially you may be in breach of the terms and conditions  which currenrly state

1. Unless you have paid the full price for the Set Top Box upfront, you must connect the Set Top Box to your BT Home Hub, a suitable television aerial and your television within 30 days of the service start date and keep it connected for at least 12 months from the date that we accepted your order for the Set Top Box.
  2. If you have not followed the instructions in paragraph 51, your agreement for the service will end. We may end your agreement for the service if you have not followed the instructions in paragraph 51.

I've no indication of BT enforcing those terms and conditions - several people have posted that they have changed boxes  and/or BT Home Hubs.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@Anjasola wrote:

Thinking  of joining BT but TV starter package comes with non recordable box, can I just substitute with a Youview+ box and record? ( A friend has a Youview+ box which he will give me.)

Yes.

See: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/BTTV-using-a-BT-You-View-box-bought-from-Currys/m-p/149626...

This has been asked many times before and it isn't a problem.

0 Ratings