cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuckie79
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Youview remote going mad

Had my youview box and remote for about 2 years now. I've now had about 3 incidents in the last few months where the remote control has suddenly gone mad. I go to change the channel, volume or try to access guides and it's like the buttons are sticking. If I press numbers to change channels it goes manic with the numbers constantly changing on screen.
I've reset the remote, changed the batteries and restarted the box but nothing rectifys it. It stops doing it as suddenly as it started but can last hours and it's now driving me mad.

Is it the remote? I am putting off resetting the box to factory settings as I have quite a bit recorded on it but will if I have to. If it is the remote then I guess I need a new one. Any help very appreciated.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Youview remote going mad

If you have the original big BT YouView box - the one the size of a VCR - that can be very slow to respond to the remote sometimes and then it will suddenly catch-up by which time you'll have pressed many more buttons which it then processes.

At least that was my experience of it.

If you have the smaller YouView+ box then it shouldn't do this.

Either way all I can suggest is make sure the software on the box is up-to-date.

btw when it does this, what happens if you cover up the IR-sensor on the front of the remote with your hand?

If your YouView box immediately stops misbehaving then that suggests the remote is possibly the culprit.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Just to make sure - you don't have any other Humax boxes as the remotes can conflict.

0 Ratings
Chuckie79
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for resonding.

It is an old type box and I think it's the remote because when it's doing it if I change the channel on the box it works ok. When it starts going mad I can type in 11 and it immediately types 111111111111111111. This is after it has previously worked fine.

I haven't tried covering up the IR-sensor so will try that next time!

I will get a new remoe ordered once BT get them back in stock. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

If you have a current BT TV contract then take a look at the following to see if you might be able to get this replaced without having to go via BT Shop:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/YouView-remote-doesn-t-work/m-p/1582773/highlight/true#M26...

0 Ratings
Chuckie79
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thank you
0 Ratings