Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 21 of 28

Re: Youview ultra HD box not connecting to smart hub via Ethernet

Go to solution

Thanks @harryzulu123.

Interesting. There is definitely something odd going on here as I'm seeing a Smart TV and Youview STB in the 192.68.0.0/24 address range.

Given what you have said, I would suggest just unplugging the powerline from the hub, set the set-top box to auto-connect in the network settings and let me know what happens.

BT TV expertGavinL
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
harryzulu123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution
Hi Gavin, yes very strange, I switched on the youview this morning and it was connected to the internet without me removing or switching off anything so did you do anything from your end or is it coincidence I wonder. This it what it does it connects fine for a few days then just disconnects randomly and I cannot connect again. Its connected to the internet now if you want to see what its showing on your side. I will remove the powerline anyway and monitor and keep you updated. Thanks again for your help. Thanks Craig
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution

Hi @harryzulu123. Yes, I can now see the box connected on the address you state, last night it was connected to a 192.168.0.0/24 address.

If you leave the powerline in, the next time you have a connectivtiy issue, take a look at the network settings and see what IP address the box is showing, it is likely to be a 192.168.0.x address.

What I think is happening is your set-top box is sometimes being served an IP address from a device other than your BT Home Hub. If you do not have any other devices on your network acting as a DHCP server, it's likely to be caused by your powerline adapter bridging your home network with a neighbouring home network.

If this is the case, ideally you need to look at using a more secure set of powerline adatpers that do not allow this issue to occur, any of the BT Powerline adapters are safe from this issue (that's not a sales pitch!).

This would explain why it works for a period, and then you start seeing issues, as once you're connected to the right home hub, you are more likely to stay connected to (i.e. served an IP address from) that hub at IP address renewal time, but there are circumstances where if your home network is bridged, you can end up being served an address from a different DHCP server.

Let me know how you get on.

BT TV expertGavinL
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
harryzulu123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution
Hi Gavin, thanks for the investigation and device. I have a TP link powerline at the moment and had a talk talk youview box before and never had any connection issues with it so quite strange. One think I did notice in the BT hub manager for port 1 where the youview box is connected before when I couldn’t connect I only ever had 1 entry in here Humax 192.168.0.104 (static) and it’s greyed out and this morning when successfully connected I have 2 entries both the static one and a new green one human 192.168.1.76 (DHCP) which I assume is the correct IP. I will leave the powerline plugged in and let you know how I get on. Have a good weekend, thanks Craig
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 28

Go to solution

Hi @harryzulu123 How has your BTTV service been over the last few days? Are you still getting the message that it is not connected to the internet?

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
harryzulu123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution
Hi JohnC2,
Thanks for the follow up. All’s been fine since we last spoke with no internet connection drop outs or disconnections and I still have my powerline connected to the smart hub with no issues so far. Therefore BT tv is working fine now, I will let you know if anything changes.
Cheers
Craig
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

Hi @harryzulu123 That's great news. Are you happy for me to close this off now for you? Obviously if anything changes and you need our help again you can post back.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
harryzulu123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution
Hi JohnC2,
Thanks that’s fine you can close this off now and I will let you know if anything changes.
Thanks again for all your help on this much appreciated.
Cheers
Craig
0 Ratings