cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andymerrett
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: any way to change aspect ratio via youview box?

Go to solution

So, finally been forced into using the new box that arrived months ago, and lo and behold (apart from it being awful in many other ways) programmes now look DREADFUL for this reason on our 4:3 ratio TV.

So you rich people will say "just buy a widescreen TV". But we were effectively forced/blackmailed by BT into this switch, and now we have a crappy TV experience. Thanks a lot, BT, for breaking our old perfectly usable Freeview box, and replacing it with one that has less display options for those CUSTOMERS who don't have the latest TVs.

(And yes, there are still a lot of people around with 4:3 TVs, actually).

Really unimpressed.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

I dont know why they didnt send a switch to the old boxes so that you can run them freely without BT's network!!

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
andymerrett
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

Money, control, etc. - probably.

0 Ratings
andymerrett
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

Never mind, we enjoy watching people's heads getting stretched. I guess we'll just have to get used to it until we win or can afford a "proper" telly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

@ComputerGeek wrote:

I dont know why they didnt send a switch to the old boxes so that you can run them freely without BT's network!!

Just because the customer owns the hardware doesn't necessarily mean they own the right to use the Microsoft Windows CE and Microsoft MediaRoom software running on it. BT could well have been paying annual/six-monthly/quarterly licensing fees to Microsoft based on the number of users.

Also the way the system was designed the boxes only worked in conjunction with the part of the system running on the servers (no doubt also Microsoft licensed software). For example the 14 day EPG came from the servers and the boxes weren't using the 7 day EPG delivered over the TV aerial that most Freeview TV's and boxes use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

@andymerrett wrote:

So, finally been forced into using the new box that arrived months ago, and lo and behold (apart from it being awful in many other ways) programmes now look DREADFUL for this reason on our 4:3 ratio TV.

Thanks a lot, BT, for breaking our old perfectly usable Freeview box, and replacing it with one that has less display options for those CUSTOMERS who don't have the latest TVs.

(And yes, there are still a lot of people around with 4:3 TVs, actually).

Really unimpressed.

Some similar problems have been reported on the BT Vision+ forum by those on black BT Vision+ boxes upgraded to the New Look software in the last couple of years. BT seem to have given little thought to those that might be using 4:3 TV's and have removed some of the display options that were present in the Classic software.

It's probably correct that the industry as a whole now considers 4:3 as a historic format and will avoid large costs related to it, but how hard is it for BT to just include a few different zoom/crop display options in the new Vision/Youview software? Why not keep all customers happy? As far as I'm aware other providers such as Sky and Virgin(Tivo) still include such options in their software, as does most other Freeview equipment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

@andymerrett wrote:

Never mind, we enjoy watching people's heads getting stretched. I guess we'll just have to get used to it until we win or can afford a "proper" telly.

Have you checked the options that your TV has?

If the BT TV box is just always sending a signal representing a 16:9 picture then some TV's might default to just squashing that into the 4:3 screen space. Others might default to showing it in a letterbox format with black bars at the top and bottom. Others might default to cropping the picture to show just the central 4:3 portion. Often the TV's menus will include options to change this to suit your preference.  

0 Ratings
andymerrett2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

(this is andymerrett but the forum has frozen me out several times so this is my alt username)

TV doesn't have aspect ratio options. It worked fine when the BT Vision box was set to send 4:3, but of course the new box doesn't have that option, at least not over Scart.

The helpdesk rep I talked online with suggested that the only way to change the aspect ratio setting in the Humax box is to connect via HDMI. Ironically, for my purposes, if I had an HDMI port it would almost certainly be on a widescreen TV! No option to do it via Scart. There's the possible option of getting an HDMI to Scart connector, though I don't hold out much hope that would work well either.

I am aware the problem in this day and age is really with the TV. It's just a shame to have to ditch perfectly good equipment due to a change I didn't even want to make. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
andymerrett2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

Yep, I have no problem watching 16:9 on a 4:3 TV with letterboxing. The broadcasters must still cater for 4:3 to some extent if you look at where all the on screen logos etc are - they're always within (or closely bordering) the 4:3 frame. But anyway, looks like it's a losing game.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

@andymerrett2 wrote:

The helpdesk rep I talked online with suggested that the only way to change the aspect ratio setting in the Humax box is to connect via HDMI. 

There's the possible option of getting an HDMI to Scart connector, though I don't hold out much hope that would work well either.

I thought the only HDMI options on the Youview box were 720p or 1080i with both sending a 16:9 picture? Also I would think an HDMI to SCART adapter would be quite expensive as it would have to convert a digital signal to an analogue signal.

To me it sounds like one of two things is going wrong.

(A)  The Youview+ box is not setting the SCART wide-screen signal correctly.

The analogue SCART connection includes wide-screen signalling (WSS) that tells the receiving equipment which aspect ratio should be used to display the picture. If the Youview+ box is always encoding a full 16:9 picture then the WSS should be set accordingly. It is possible the box is setting the WSS incorrectly and hence confusing your TV by making it think it is receiving a 4:3 picture.

I would think this is highly unlikely, but you never know. 

(B)  Your TV is pretty stupid when it comes to displaying 16:9 pictures.

As mentioned earlier most 4:3 TV's will either crop or letterbox a 16:9 picture (indicated by the WSS) before displaying it. This ensures humans still look human. If the Youview box is sending the correct 16:9 WSS value and your TV is choosing to just squash the picture and give you no other options then that is really the fault of the TV manufacturer.

Note: If (B) is the case, then the reason you didn't have the same problem with the old silver box is because it gave you an additional option for the box to encode just a cropped/letterboxed 4:3 picture and send that over SCART with the WSS set to tell the TV it was a normal 4:3 picture. This is the functionality BT/Youview seem to have removed.

0 Ratings