cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
granddad61
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

audio crackling HD Channels

Crackling sound on HD channels. SD channels o.k. Surround effects appear to be working on all channels. AVR audio connected to Humax box via optical. HDMI used to deliver vision and passes through AVR to TV. I will re-make optical connections and re-check performance. Failing that, any ideas? As I have a legacy AVR I would have to invest in some HDMI audiobreakout/DAC equipment if I needed to re-configure for audio via HDMI. Thus some no-cost solutions would be helpful.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: audio crackling HD Channels

Hi granddad61,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Did you get this sorted yet? Does the sound crackle through your TV or surround sound system? Let us know how you’re getting on.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
kryten22uk
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I noticed crackling when watching TopGear via BBC HD catchup.  Not noticed it on anything else yet (normal TV or HD Box office movies).  I am currently using Optical for sound, set up for Surround option on YouView box, and fed into AVR.

0 Ratings
lockwoodman
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I've just installed my YouView box and am getting the same issue. There is some crackling on the HD channels. My YouView set is connected via HDMI (settings changed to suround sound) to my Samsung Smart tv from which a digital audio lead goes to a surround sound system. This is the same set up as I had with the BT Vision box.

when I switch front Freeview on the TV to the YouView box it is about 20% louder.

the TV signal is about 53% strength and 100% quality for the HD programmes.

Help please!

Cheers Paul C

0 Ratings
xninian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Also just installed YouView box.  No change from previous set up on silver Vision box - just plugged 3 leads (aerial, HDMI and ethernet) into new box and all works fine so far but there is a definite crackling on BBC HD catchup (higher frequency sounded like an electrical sparking) but OK on all other.  Just using the normal TV for sound.  Not watched much HD yet but loud enough the spoil the listening.

One commendation for BT - the ordering and delivery process was smooth - with a slight delay due to the snow on the delivery!

0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

There's a known issue for audio defects if you have audio description turned on, but there's no AD track on the programme. Check the accessibility menu.

I'd also try with and without the surround sound setting and potentially drop the resolution down to 720p.
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

I've noticed this tonight on iPlayer in HD. I don't think it was happening before the software upgrade that I ran yesterday

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
granddad61
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

this appears to be the same set up as I have. I am not sure if it is on every HD channel.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
granddad61
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

The connections are made via my AVR. The closest I have been to this issue in the past was when attempting

to play 5.1 DVD-A via an optical connection and ended up getting crackle and complete stops in the feed. This was completely cured when I acquired another DVD player with on-board conversion and outputted via multi-channel analogue connections. This is why I posited a possible solution as outputting via HDMI, breaking out the audio through a 5.1 DAC( say a CYP de-embedder) and into the analogue inputs on the AVR.(I have  legacy kit which does not process anything via HDMI---pass-through only) I would need to check further because I understand the de-embedder converts LPCM only.

0 Ratings
Belly81
Message 10 of 10

I have AV Receiver connected to Youview via HDMI with crackling sound on HD content. Solved the sound issue by switching HDMI sound output to surround rather than stereo in the menu under settings- TV signal and quality. Hope this helps.
0 Ratings