cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

box can't connect to internet

Hi my box can't connect to the broadband, weve had it for about 18 months and its an ethernet cable connection, all freeview channels are available to watch and we can watch recordings from freeview channels. tri3d 3 new ethernet cables and always the same, cables work fine through a laptop, tried turning things off and rebooting but no joy, any advice on next actions please?
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: box can't connect to internet

A few ideas you could check.

Your subscription - has anything changed.

On your box go to Settings and check that it does have an IP address, if not then loginto your router and see if your box is shown as a connected device and has a unique IP Address (no IP clashes)

0 Ratings
martinw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

thanks for the reply, no subscription changes, the ip address is different to all the other numbers , the only thing i noticed really is the default gateway matches the primary dns number, is that normal?
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

@martinw335wrote:
thanks for the reply, no subscription changes, the ip address is different to all the other numbers , the only thing i noticed really is the default gateway matches the primary dns number, is that normal?

That's not a problem, it just means that your box uses your router as it's primary dns, you could change it to another valid DNS address but it's not necessary to do so.

So The ip address of the box is 192.168.1.xxx ? 

0 Ratings
martinw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

yes thats correct, i have 2 blue lights on the box too
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 21

It sounds like your box is connected to the internet so either the Multicast stream is missing for some reason or your box is faulty.

Sounds like you need the help of a mod

0 Ratings
martinw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

ok thanks for your help, it's very odd I always thought that when programs we're recorded they were stored on the box but only the recording from freeview channels are accessible, the remote is very slow and doesn't work first press all the time either. I'll give the CS dept a call later see what they can do, thsnk you again for your help
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

@martinw335wrote:
ok thanks for your help, it's very odd I always thought that when programs we're recorded they were stored on the box but only the recording from freeview channels are accessible, the remote is very slow and doesn't work first press all the time either. I'll give the CS dept a call later see what they can do, thsnk you again for your help

They are, they're stored on a hard disk drive.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, I got the impression that you couldn't even view the BT channels, are you saying that you can view them but not record them?

0 Ratings
martinw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

sorry I can record freeview channels and watch them from the recordings, bt channels such as discovery etc I can't watch or watch the recordings 🤨 seems like a box issue but its very odd. when i go on to the menu of my recordings there are no pics of the programs like there used be. very odd
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

@martinw335wrote:
when i go on to the menu of my recordings there are no pics of the programs like there used be. very odd

That sounds like a software issue, have you checked for updates? It could be that an attempt to push an update failed leaving you with corrupted software

0 Ratings