Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stang
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

confused and need help

Hey all.
In a couple of weeks i'm having bt infinity 2 installed and need a bit of advise.
I need to buy a youview box so i can get freeview channells and record bt sport via broadband. The problem is that in the area i live in i can only get digital tv via a satelite dish. The only freeview channells i can get via an aerial are all bbc. I've tried several different boxes all with no joy and my neighbours all have the same problem.
Is there a smart receiver available that will work via a dish?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Quelch
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: confused and need help

@stang wrote:
Hey all.
In a couple of weeks i'm having bt infinity 2 installed and need a bit of advise.
I need to buy a youview box so i can get freeview channells and record bt sport via broadband. The problem is that in the area i live in i can only get digital tv via a satelite dish. The only freeview channells i can get via an aerial are all bbc. I've tried several different boxes all with no joy and my neighbours all have the same problem.
Is there a smart receiver available that will work via a dish?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all.

Basically a YouView box needs a normal terrestrial aerial input to work. It will work "alongside" your satellite set up but can't receive its signal.

Put "freesat and youview" into google without the quotes for a series of articles.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

You would need a Freesat box to get the free satellite channels (which won't be exactly the same list as Freeview).  The YouView box would then only be used for streamed channels over Infinity.

So that would be two boxes, both connected to the TV.

0 Ratings
stang
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Cheers for the reply guys.
I've got an engineer coming to check my aerial the same day bt are installing infinity. If all goes well which youview box would be recommended that i get that will record bt sports via infinity? I can spend 250-300 quid if needs be.
Cheers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Put your money back in your pocket! Smiley Happy

In order to watch/record the BT Sport channels on a Youview box you need a BT TV subscription. TV Essential is £5 per month or TV Entertainment is £7 per month (ok, so get some of that money out of your pocket again). There is also a £35 activation fee. BT will supply a BT Youview+ box for no extra cost (well possibly a £6.95 delivery charge). This BT issued box will be fully compatible with all current or future BT TV services. You own the box from day 1 but officially still owe BT for it. However after the 12 minimum contract period BT waive that deferred payment so the box was effectively free.

So if you want to watch BT Sport on the box don't spend money buying a retail box, let BT send you one for free as part of the required BT TV subscription.

This is the latest model they issue (DTR-T2100, a.k.a. 4th generation or G4 box). 

http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/bt-launches-smallest-youview-box-yet-11363879465221

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Try the coverage checker to see the predicted reception for your location.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/

If you tick for the detailed view it will give you information about the different multiplexes (MUX'es) that you can receive. If you look at this list you can see which channels are on which multiplex.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/Channels/channel_listings

0 Ratings
stang
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for that. Spot on.
It all depends on my aerial and coverage in my area. Hopefully all will be well when the engineer comes round.
Cheers again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@umpire wrote:
This BT issued box will be fully compatible with all current or future BT TV services.

But note that BT are not currently allowed to provide Sky Sports on the BT Youview+ boxes, only on the older BT Vision+ boxes.

BT Sport and ESPN, no problem. 

0 Ratings