cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

internet channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels?

Internet TV channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels?

I've only had my YouView box for some four or five months, but I've been able to watch on demand programmes without difficulty using the existing bt broadband connection.

I've also been able to watch British Eurosport on my Smart TV using WiFi from my standard Broadband copper pair, so the copper pair is able to cope with the signal without many problems.

I've also been able to watch films downloaded from Lovefilm on my laptop using the BT broadband connection and WiFi - so the connection speed is fine.

The latest You View update now has given us access to many new internet only tv channels, but only apparently if I upgrade to BT infinity and pay a supplement.............

Could someone from BT please explain why I need to upgrade to BT infinity to view these internet channels?

Also - is there any chance at some point of having access to one of these internet channels without having to pay to subscribe to other channels as a "package"?  For example, if I was only interested in Sci Fi, it would be nice to be able to view that internet channel..

Please advise, thanks!

cthatcham

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: internet channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels

its because currently the service is only available to infinity users as broadcast using multicast is only on infinity

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

Re: internet channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels

It is a decision that BT have made.  there's no technical reason why the channels couldn't be streamed over ADSL, provided the connection is fast enough.  However, BT have decided that these channels are only going to be offered over Infinity.

I suspect at least part of it is BT's desire to switch everybody over to Infinity as it becomes available in each area.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

It is a decision that BT have made.  there's no technical reason why the channels couldn't be streamed over ADSL, provided the connection is fast enough.  However, BT have decided that these channels are only going to be offered over Infinity.

I suspect at least part of it is BT's desire to switch everybody over to Infinity as it becomes available in each area.

Thats slightly incorrect. The extra channels are broadcast using multicasting which is a service openreach are only providing on infinity at present(other ISPs such as talktalk can use it too for similar offerings). BT retail would need openreach to enable multicasting support on stanard ADSL lines.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 11

Re: Internet channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels

It's part technical, part business decision.

A stated above, we use multicast to transport the channels from our encoders, across our network, to each of the Infinity cabinets across a dedicated fibre. Vision/youview boxes then join the multicast groups for the channel being viewed/recorded. If we were to use unicast for TV channels then there would be a massive increase of traffic on the core network which would impact everyone's download speeds.

Steve

cthatcham
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Re: Internet channels - please advise why do you say we have to have infinity to view these channels

Thanks everyone for your repllies.  

I certainly can't afford to upgrade to infinity - even if I could afford it, presumably it would involve a lot of disruption and digging up of the street and my garden since I assume you can't carry fibre optic cable overhead on poles........

I've hidden all the extra channels from the EPG as I can't access any of them.  So annoying !

Thanks again for your explanation.

cthatcham

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Actually you can carry fibre optic cables overhead, seen it before.

Also you would only have fibre to your house if they had FTTP available to you.

99.99% of Infinity is actually delivered by FTTC and from the cab to your house is same copper cabling that's already there. Depending on the setup of your house you may not need any work doing inside to provide Infinity, except have an SSFP fitted onto the NTE.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
chrisp18
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Interesting discusssion.

Unofrtunately, if like me you live "in the country" Infinity is a pipe dream. My local exchange Fordham, Essex (EAFOR) doesn't have FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) and the last time I checked it wasn't even shown as being considered by BT for upgrade.

Although my line speed has improved in recent years it is still only a max of 5Mb so I can't watch any HD films On Demand and it is rather annoying to keep seeing the BT adverts saying BT Sport is available free to BT Broadband customers, and yes I know the small print talks about Infinity.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 11

Join the club 😞 our village has "community wifi" which will never carry multicast!

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 10 of 11

I'm lucky now but I was living previously on the outskirts of Bristol in what was basically a new town and there was no infinity there. I was lucky and got a massive 4MB but people in other parts were struggling to reach 1MB or in some cases even 512k. Its not just country folk that can't get infinity! 

0 Ratings