Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: "Return your youview box or you will be charged"

Go to solution

If you have had the box since then it is yours to keep. 

BT have recently changed their Terms and Conditions so that any new contracts taken out now have to return the BT equipment when they leave BT or they will be charged for the equipment.

https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

If you read the "Important Information" at the foot of the BT packages page you will find:-

"Ownership of broadband hubs and TV boxes

-  As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, Ultrafast Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers.

-  When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.

-  You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.

-  If you prefer, you may also drop your items off in an EE store (see BT.com/returns for more details)."

The above only applies to contracts taken out after 13th Dec 2019.

Any equipment supplied prior to that is yours to keep after you have completed your initial term contract.

0 Ratings
Shimmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

Seems clear although they say ‘May be liable for a charge’. BT should have said ‘you will be charged’. That would stop any arguments.

0 Ratings
ludwiggj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

Unfortunately the confusion and misinformation seems to be continuing.

I reached the end of my last 18-month TV & broadband contract in November 19, and rang BT up yesterday to renegotiate a new contract. My intent was to drop the TV element and use it as a standard "freeview-only box". I got to the end of the ordering process, but was then told that I had to return my existing box otherwise I'd be charged for it. The advisor wasn't trying to trick me, but that was what he'd obviously been briefed. I explained my understanding that I own the box having finished the contract, but that clearly wasn't his understanding.

In the end I started the whole process again and agreed to £6 per month for the "classic" TV package (which is what I was previously on), and paid another £10 to upgrade to an HD box which I was told is faster. After I finished the call I received an email entitled "How to return your kit" which contains the vague statement:

"If you ordered any of your kit after 13 December 2019, you might need to pay a charge if you don't send it back within 60 days."

The implication is that I need to return my existing "non-HD" box.

So I could either view this as I've paid £6/month for 24 months (my new contact length) for a TV box upgrade, or that I've been duped into paying £6/month for something I don't really need. I only use the freeview channels and record and watch recordings from those channels.

Given I placed the order yesterday, am I within my rights to ring up, ask to cancel the TV element of my new 24 month contract, return the new HD box they've just sent me, and keep hold of the previous one from the contract which ended Nov 19, without fear of being charged?

Has anyone actually been charged for not returning a TV box, and if so, how much?

I'm not too sure whether to take this on or not, it definitely leaves a sour note to a good call yesterday where I saved £15/month by starting a new contract.

Thanks,

Graeme.

0 Ratings
ludwiggj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Interestingly, I've just taken a look at BT's latest terms and conditions (linked from my confirmation email), at https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf, effective from 24th January 2020. There's a section on page 89 highlighted "Set-Top Box Terms" containing the following text:

We'll supply a BT Set Top Box to all customers taking BT TV where the package includes it, or a new Set Top Box is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned Set Top Box. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement Set Top Box, may be supplied with a reconditioned Set Top Box. A reconditioned Set Top Box is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new Set Top Box. When you end the BT TV service you must return the BT Set Top Box that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £60 for a YouView Box (Z4), £89 for a YouView+ Box (G4) or £115 for a YouView+ Ultra HD Box.

I think that makes it clear for my new contract I started yesterday, but it does nothing to clear up the issue around the status of my existing TV box from my contract which ended Nov 19, and whether I could have ended the TV contract and held onto the box without being charged.

Again, any advice is appreciated.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution

If you were given the box prior to the 13th Dec 2019 even although you take out a new contract the box is not covered by the new terms. ie. you can keep it.

If you were issued a new box at the start of your new contract after 13th Dec 2019 you are covered by the new T&Cs and will have to return the box.

Shimmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

If you had a Youview box prior to the Contract amendment then you can keep it, as I said in another post the new terms are a little vague when it says you a may be liable for a charge. They should have said you will be charged. 

0 Ratings
highnoon1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

I've just cancelled my BT 4K TV package and was told on the phone that I would have to return my box or be charged for it. I explained that I had the box since before the 13th December 2019 and would not therefore need to return it as has been mentioned on this thead. She was unaware of the 13th December 2019 cut off date and even asked her manager who said they were also unaware of it. On checking my account online I can see a yellow box asking me to return my box within 60 day of my TV contract end. I know how this is likely to go in that BT with charge me the £115 for the box and I will have to go into bat with them to argue the case that I have had it since 25th October 2016 and therefore predates the term ammendments made on 13th December 2019. Is there anyway I can head this upcoming hassle off before my contract ends? 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

See link about returning equipment and the relevant part about dates.

How to return and recycle your BT equipment for free | BT Help

Contact BT billing and ask them to search the BT help pages for the above link.

0 Ratings
highnoon1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 just phoned billing and they have now marked my box as "returned" I looked through my original email from BT from 25th October 2016 and I had actually paid £49 + £7.95 postage for it anyway so there was no question it was mine to keep in the end.

0 Ratings