Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 12

"We can't update your software" message

Go to solution

Does anyone know what that message actually means and what I can do about it please?

It further says 'visit bt.com/tverrors' for further help and that URL gives precisely none as it says ' "SOFTWARE UPDATE" was not found and isn't one of our known errors'

Cycling the power made no difference what so ever

😠

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: "We can't update your software" message

Go to solution

Hi @Stevek1311 

Did the message start occurring after you are going to Youview  Settings Software Information and selecting the Update Software button. 

OR is it occurring when using the remote control to bring the Youview box out of standby mode 

OR is it occurring  when the Youview box is restarted by the 8 second  button press soft  reset 

OR is it occurring when the Youview box is power cycled  ?

Did the message include  the words  .. at this time   or similar  .

I ask that because there are software updates in progress which Youview have said will be phased  

I had a look at the web page that you quoted.

That web page has a search box option for any error codes . Typing a message text rather than an error code into the box  will  give the response you got.

When I had a look at the page there was below the option to search for error codes a section that said

If you don't have an error code, there's a list of other problems below, with help on how to fix them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

The first one "going to Youview  Settings Software Information and selecting the Update Software button. "

And that web page just says no answer for that problem and there is no error code

I really don't want to do a factory reset as I'll lose all recordings

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying @Stevek1311 

given that the Youview box is functioning at its current software level and that the update announced by Youview is being applied in phases I suggest no action at this stage . 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@Stevek1311 

Have you trie dthe maintenance mode resets - Resetting your Youview box . Options 2 & 4 are the ones to go for as you keep your recordings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Ta, will try those and report back

(Though last time I tried to get those the box for some weird reason didn't offer them)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Option 1 may have fixed it thanks

it's cleared the immediate 'We cannot' issue but then when I went to the update software screen it immediately said 'all downloaded, restarting' which wasn't great.  It's now gone back to 'we're already running the latest (when it isn't) but that's a separate issue

Going to mark this as solved

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Well I tried to mark it as solved but then I got this:   😠

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource
/t5/forums/v4/forumtopicpage.markmessageasacceptedsolutionsecondarybutton/message-uid/2005382
does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Stevek1311 sorry you encountered that error when trying to mark the thread as solved. I've done that now for you.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Just two quick points

The site error was related to cookies, clearing all BT cookies and cache and that fault has gone

The post John marked as the solution was actually the wrong one, it's Tim's post 5 that is the solution

0 Ratings