cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

"retune event" has completely removed COM7&8, 25 channels including many HD channels gone overnight

https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/caldbeck

All these channels, many of which I regularly use and have scheduled recording on are now gone forever. Non-HD alternatives really aren't an acceptable solution in 2019.

I'm beyond annoyed, I've only just re-contracted for 12 months and I'm now stuck with this severely cut down TV package. The only warning I got was a pop-up message on the box yesterday.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: "retune event" has completely removed COM7&8, 25 channels including many HD channe

This of course is outside of BT's control and nothing to do with them. Although you re-contracted you must know you aren't paying for the FREEview channels through your aerial. They are not part of your 'tv package' that you pay for. As your link shows this is a Freeview change which affects everyone in the affected regions regardless of having any form of Pay TV or not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: "retune event" has completely removed COM7&8, 25 channels including many HD channe

I'm sorry that you think that, but I'm paying for a package that includes these channels as advertised in BT's own marketing material. Who actually supplies them is of no concern to me as a customer of BT.

https://www.bt.com/tv/add/

Click "see what channels you get"

See what channels I DON'T get that are listed right there? I was sold this package with the clear message that I would be getting these channels with no warning that they would be revoked on a given date that they must have been aware of. If I had been advised in advance, I would not have re-contracted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

It's not what I think, it's the truth. Neither you nor I can change that. Maybe a BT mod could step in here to clarify!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@elsouthward 

@robotman1  is absolutely right. The link you pointed to is Freeview , nothing to do with BT, TalkTalk or anyone else.

If Freeview don't transmit certain channels from a particular transmitter then there's nothing that you or BT can do about it.

If you look further into that ad you'll find the following statement - "Availability of digital channels and quality of content depends on local transmitter and suitable rooftop aerial (www.freeview.co.uk/availability). "

That covers it I think.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Indeed - When you pay for BT TV you are only paying for the extra channels delivered via the internet.

Availability of Freeview channels delivered via the aerial is wholly excluded from your contract - you only get what is available in your area. And this can change, as has been shown by these retuning events which are meant to free up space for 5G mobile phones.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

BT is perhaps missing a trick by not including the COM7&8 HD channels on the internet for people who cannot receive them via an aerial.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

I am sure they would be happy to if the broadcasters concerned paid them the appropriate level of carriage fee.

But why bother when the viewer can already use the inbuilt broadcaster app such as BBC iPlayer to get them?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

That’s true for BBC HD channels, but isn’t ITV / C4 catch up only?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

The apps on my Android tablet let me view ITV and C4 live though My5 does not. I assume the same is true of the versions on Youview?
0 Ratings