Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattfb
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

what does the Youview mini do??

Hi

I've just signed up for Fibre optic BT Broadband with the BT sport package. Today I received a parcel containing my new Router and also a Youview mini box. I hadn't realised I would be getting the youview box and had assumed that by signing up to BT Sport I'd just receive an access code or something similar! As the Youview mini does not record does it do anything more than my existing Humax HDR Fox T2 does. If I connect the Humax to the BT router with the Ethernet cable will I be able to get BT Sport? I have an LG Smart TV so get plenty of extra services on that? Sorry if this sounds a bit basic but I'm just worried that connecting the Youview box will over complicate things.

Thanks in advance

Mattfb

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: what does the Youview mini do??

For a £19 activation fee (assuming you haven't already paid for it as part of your Infinity activation charge) you can watch BT Sport on it in SD via your TV for as long as you remain in contract. It is known as the Starter package.

Of course BT will then hope to get you to upgrade further to Entertainment Starter which gives you 20 channels for £5 a month, and then maybe other bolt ons like HD.

As you already have the Fox T2 for recording just think of this mini box as a way to access BT TV content.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

If BT sent you the mini BT Youview box then that implies you have signed up to a BT TV Starter package (whether knowingly or not!). There are two versions.

TV Starter - Aimed at normal broadband customers. £4 per month, but with a £4 discount for the first 12 months.

TV Entertainment Starter - Aimed at Infinity fibre broadband customers. £5 per month.

You could check your order confirmation email and next bill to confirm whether you are subscribed to a BT TV Starter package.

The mini BT Youview box doesn't have the ability to record. Both Starter packages allow you to add the extra live BT Sport channels to BT TV if your broadband connection supports it. The TV Entertainment Starter also comes with 20 extra live entertainment channels on BT TV over the broadband connection. It also allows you to add other live channels at additional cost via bolt-ons.

These extra channels come over the broadband connection using a technology called multicasting. For many this is the primary purpose of subscribing to a Starter package and getting the mini BT Youview box. These extra live multicast channels over broadband are not available on your existing Humax box or smart TV, only BT TV boxes.

Both Starter packages also provide certain Youview / BT TV catch-up and on-demand services, depending on exactly which TV package and bolt-ons you are subscribed to. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

0 Ratings
mattfb
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your replies. I know I signed up for the TV Starter pack but didn't realise I was getting a new box for it and last night I was struggling to connect both boxes to my aerial and TV but it's now sorted and both are plugged in and working. I do, however, seem to be having issues with the remote controls but I'm sure I'll resolve these in due course!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

You can change the remote code for your Humax Fox T2 to avoid having the same code on your Humax manufactured Youview box,

Humax normally allow upto 6 different remove code settings (1-6) for their PVRS to overcome such circumstances. I don't believe Youview allow their remote code to change (from its default of 1)  but your other Humax device should.

So

1. Switch OFF the power to your YouView box
  2. Power ON your Humax Fox T2 box
  3. Using your Humax Fox T2 remote control press number "0" and "OK" at the same time for 10 seconds
  4. When the PVR light at the top of the remote control stays lit, a message will also appear on your TV screen about changing the remote control code
  5. Press "2" to change the remote control code
  6. Your remotes will now control the correct box.
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Personally I wouldn't have bothered with the aerial into the Youview mini box in your case as you have the Fox T2 and presumably your TV Tuner to manage your DTT needs. Just connect an Ethernet cable to the Youview mini box and use it for BT TV channels and other internet content.
0 Ratings