cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boyracerfred
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

why is BT VISION like ASLEF?

ANSWER: 'cos it regularly goes off on strike.

Now - seriously.

I have an email telling me I should 'upgrade' to Youview+ - - no strings attached.

My box is years old - Vision service was always the Black box. Regular faults, swap outs, software reboots all hours, even in the middle of a live football match. Probably encountered all faults listed over the years.

Why do I still use it?  Well SKY and Virgin are not attractive to me.

It got SO BAD that I bought a used HUMAX pvr and record lots of stuff from my second TV. Can't trust Vision.

The old PVR never has any issues ....ha ha.

Well I need HONESTY.  Is it really worth 'upgrading' to Youview+?

Will  the endless VISION issues I know about go away?

Will I still be able to have SKY SPORTS 1 & 2? - -I'm told Sports 5 will cease.

Could I rent Eurosport on Youview+?

The alternative is to finally abandon BT - OMG how I have wanted to over the years of pain with Vision.

Do I enter the clutches of Sky or Virgin, and is it worth giving up on my principles?

I would value honest comments,please.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: why is BT VISION like ASLEF?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ney
Expert
Message 3 of 11

I time the old Vison + service will close.

You cant rent Eurosport its part of the basic package of channels.

You can add Sky Sports 1 and 2 to your Youview package.

I have never used the old Vision + servive but I do have Youview as well as BT TV and I find Youview to be good.

I never added Sky Sports 1 and 2 to my TV package.

Youview is rolling out a software update the now and it has some mixed review but most seem to like it.

Also depending on where you stay, Youview can pick up all the main Freeview HD channels.

You can also if you wanted add Sky Moives but I prefer Netflix.

Darren

0 Ratings
wwwebber
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

@zulu17 wrote:

@boyracerfred do you recall this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/is-it-worth-moving-to-Youview/m-p/1517959

Good spot - funny how things repeat themselves lol

0 Ratings
boyracerfred
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

yeah ..so I finally HAVE to leave Vision. Up to now I managed with another PVR and extreme patience.

The point is - will I endure much the same with Youview?

I came back here to assess whether it is worth it, or make a break to the SKY/VIRGIN guys.

So far its early in the response, i'm hoping for more....but I hoped to avoid trawling thru' the seemingly many reports of issues with Youview.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@boyracerfred

The BT YouView box works just fine on FreeView. If you want the extra Internet channels then you do have to pay attention to your Internet connection quality, as that can affect the quality of your picture.

Sky suffers from quality issues as well, due to the propagation of satellite signals.

Virgin rely on their cable network, which is not 100% perfect.

With a YouView box, you are not tied to any provider, once your initial 12 month contract is up. And the box is yours at the end of the contract.

Many of the YouView issues raised relate to the recent changes that YouView have made to their delivery, and this affects all providers that support YouView.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@ney wrote:

I time the old Vison + service will close.

You cant rent Eurosport its part of the basic package of channels.

You can add Sky Sports 1 and 2 to your Youview package.

I have never used the old Vision + servive but I do have Youview as well as BT TV and I find Youview to be good.

I never added Sky Sports 1 and 2 to my TV package.

Youview is rolling out a software update the now and it has some mixed review but most seem to like it.

Also depending on where you stay, Youview can pick up all the main Freeview HD channels.

You can also if you wanted add Sky Moives but I prefer Netflix.

Darren

Don't think so. Some think it's OK but very many absolutely hate it.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@boyracerfred

The BT YouView box works just fine on FreeView. If you want the extra Internet channels then you do have to pay attention to your Internet connection quality, as that can affect the quality of your picture.

Sky suffers from quality issues as well, due to the propagation of satellite signals.

Virgin rely on their cable network, which is not 100% perfect.

With a YouView box, you are not tied to any provider, once your initial 12 month contract is up. And the box is yours at the end of the contract.

Many of the YouView issues raised relate to the recent changes that YouView have made to their delivery, and this affects all providers that support YouView.

No need for any contract if you buy retail or ebay etc.

0 Ratings
boyracerfred
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

the email offer says Youview box is free, and no change to Broadband contract or terms.

So that suggests if I get fed up in a couple of months  I can terminate the service and keep the box..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

@boyracerfred wrote:

the email offer says Youview box is free, and no change to Broadband contract or terms.

So that suggests if I get fed up in a couple of months  I can terminate the service and keep the box..

No, you are tied to a 12 month BT Vision contract. If you terminate early, you will be charged for the box.

Your Broadband contract would not be affected, as BT Vision is a value added service.

You do not have to upgrade, you can simply keep your old box as a FreeView PVR, but you will not be able to watch any BT delivered channels.

0 Ratings