cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 211 of 252

Re: You View Box recording for only 1 or 2 minutes!!!

Oh Dear - After a 2 min spell some time ago I thought things were OK until Sunday evening - recorded Mr Selfridge and Dragons Den - Mr Selfridge recorded fine - Dragons Den only 2 minutes - then US Apprentice only two minutes.

Only thought is I used series record for these - not individual - and this is the first time I had recorded two programmes at the same time - still that should not be an issue.

The main issue is a loss of trust in the risk of the YouView Box not performing, adn BT not performing as per contract.

I do not have the energy to speak to BT at the moment (it is usually a waste of time) - and it "appears" that BT are working on getting the software bug put right.

Could any Mod please advise the status of this and where we can track the progress - hopefully BT can resolve this BT caused fault in a reasonable period of time to rectify BT's non-performance.

Thank you

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 212 of 252

There is a suggestion on the YouView Community forum that a fix is iminent for this problem, maybe in the next week or so.

Fingers crossed.

It is not BTs fault btw , it's down to YouView. BT just supply the equipment.

0 Ratings
Jeebo
Beginner
Message 213 of 252

Surely BT manage the distribution of the updates to their clients?

0 Ratings
AA99
Contributor
Message 214 of 252

Re: youview recordings stopping after 2 minutes

Has anybody successfully cancelled their BT contract due to this issue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 215 of 252

Thanks for the Heads Up Tim

Had a look and was surprised at how much "chatter" there is on this topic - it appears that YouView have only managed to find the cause of the issue around 4 days ago and are working on it. (Seems to have taken them a long time - but there was also comments about programming staff having left).

I would agree that is is not BT's fault - but I would class it as BT's responsibility to BT's customers to ensure it is fixed within a reasonable time. (Just as if, say, John Lewis supplied a Sony TV that did not function correctly - it would not be John Lewis's fault - but it would be up to John Lewis to ensure a solution is found).

I am surprised - considering the extent of the issue - that BT do not appear to have put a "service notice" on their website keeping customers updated with progress - that indicates that BT do not feel it is anything to do with them - which is, in my view, wrong.

I hope that YouView fix this soon - and BT ensure a fault free roll-out of the fix - in the meantime it would be good if BT was actually able to let people know what is happening - the extent of the issue and the nimber involved makes it far beyond a Forum discussion fault.

Just for info it appears, from the YouView site, it appears that the reason they do not wish to roll back the software is that it will take away the Netflix capability - as I do not use this I do not have a view on whether this is a valid commnet or not.

0 Ratings
youviewbunny
Contributor
Message 216 of 252

It is of course utterly unacceptable for BT/YouView not yet to have produced a cure for this,

Meanwhile I have done two things which seem for me to have helped:-

1. I've upped my Signal Strength from ca. 58% to 72% by using an active amplifier (MaxView).

2. on starting up, let it start up as usual, then hold the Power button on the top of the box until the light turns back blue, then let it start up as usual.
start up as usual.

May not help others but maybe worth a try.

2. Also, on starting up from standbty, let it warm up as usual, the hold the Power button on the top of the box until the LH light turns back blue, then let it start up as usual.

May not help anyone else, but maybe worth trying.
0 Ratings
youviewbunny
Contributor
Message 217 of 252

Sorry about the repetitive waffle, but you get the general idea!
0 Ratings
jaysonuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 218 of 252

Soooooo...frustrating.....last week I bit the bullet and phoned BT to report a fault with my Youview box (hoping the more people that complained maybe would add weight to the seriousness of the problem)  in all - hanging on and going round in the usual circles of her testing the line etc and repeating over and over again that I'd tried all the re sets - after 40mins the Indian lady booked an engineer call and after much arguing and a chat with her supervisor agreed to waive the £122 or whatever call out charge if the engineer found there was nothing wrong with the box.

Giving it some thought later, and from what we know, I guessed all the engineer would do would be another factory re-set or tell me I needed to update wiring or ariel or some such. So I cancelled the call out. Did another maintenance re-set (number 2 keep recordings) and so far things have behaved although I've only recorded 1 prog at a time and not used it very often.

Just mention this as it might be worth keep trying the re-set once a week as somebody suggested earlier.

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 219 of 252

Even MS Windows 3.1 wasnt this bad - in terms of resetting / rebooting / faffing around ......

0 Ratings
dh21
Message 220 of 252

As this problem hasn't been resolved and we haven't been given any updates or timescales for a resolution over the last few days, I'm reporting BT to Trading Standards for knowingly selling a product that's not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings