cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Frequent disconnections

Go to solution

I have a slow ADSL connection, around 4.5mb download on a good day.

I had a line fault in late September and an engineer changed to a different pair of cables from my master socket to the pole outside my property.

Last month my router kept disconnecting and was replaced by another Hub 6.  I’m now again experiencing multiple disconnections, approx twice per day but the router takes around 20mins to reconnect.  By say they can’t detect a fault on a line test and my router is connect to the new master socket fitted in September. Please help!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Frequent disconnections

Go to solution

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

have you tried using test socket to see if that helps stability

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Telephone line is clear between announcements. 

I'm familiar with he test socket behind the old type face plates that only had one socket on the front.  My faceplate as a filter built in.  Is there a test socket that will take my router cable behind the faceplate?

Yes I have smart setup disabled. I just get a flashing orange light on the router (Hub6)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

if it is a new style master socket then front just unclips - no screws - and test socket is visible where you can connect filter and see if that stabilises hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you imjolly

On examining the master socket, one side of the faceplate had not been firmly clipped by the last visiting engineer.  I followed your suggestion to remove the faceplate and test using the test socket and an ADSL filter.

This seemed to improved stability of my line and on the one occasion the connection dropped out it reestablished connection quickly as opposed to waiting 20-30mins on previous dropouts.

I have now replaced the faceplate and clipped it in place on both sides and my line has been stable for over 48hrs.

Thank you for your help and on this occasion it would appear the fault was due to the faceplate not being correctly located on the master socket.  Fingers crossed

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

that's great

it is a common problem with the new style master sockets - even a slight bump can cause a connection problem with faceplate

0 Ratings