cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How quiet should quiet line test be for max ADSL

Go to solution

Hi,

So we're about 330m from the exchange (not as the crow flies but actual 'street' distance) though the router is showing a line attenuation of 9db and signal attenuation of 11db which here:

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-line-loss-distance

Says is more typical of 650m - 800m.

A quiet line test (with the mute button on) in the test socket of an NTE5 Mk4 master socket is (very) quiet except some faint white noise (ordinary hiss). It's faint enough for me to think that anybody's line would have the same but noticeable enough for me to think it's stopping us from having the 'ideal' broadband signal.

We get 19mbps download sync speed = 16mpbs download speed whereas I would hope for the full 24mbps, at our distance, which 'might' allow 4K streaming from Disney+ which uses 7.2GB/hr and so 16mbps (2mBps = 3.6GB/hr x 2 = 7.2GB/hr) is too borderline for us ever to get this.

So the question is, please, would this faint white noise warrant a call to BT's 151 to have an engineer out to try and remedy the problem? Or would the fact there's no 'bad' noise e.g. crackling mean they're likely to ignore it?

I've read in some posts that the quiet noise test (17070) should be 'completely' silent. 19mbps is above the minimum broadband speed so I wouldn't mention this directly as a broadband fault.

But if by an engineer replacing a 50 year old connection line, based on it being only 97% quiet, would improve things (we can't get fibre here) then is it being too picky to raise a fault?

Does anyone have experience with just 'slight' noise being fixed (and recognised as a fault)?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: How quiet should quiet line test be for max ADSL

Go to solution

were you using a corded or cordless phone for quiet line test as corded should be silent whereas might get slight hum from cordless

can you post stats from hub

can you enter phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

It's a corded BT Duet 210 phone (with mute button on as recommended) plugged straight into the test socket of an OpenReach NTE5C Mk4 master socket - so is completely eliminating the router and extension during the test.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hub stats:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ71416318

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E079

Firmware updated:

25-May-2022

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 2 Hours 2 Minutes 44 Seconds

Data rate:

1.28 Mbps / 19.01 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1283 / 19060

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 9 dB

Line attenuation:

9 dB

Signal attenuation:

5.5 dB / 10.9 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Latency type:

Fast Path

---------------------------------------------------

Wholesale results:

Andy3000_1-1654871823051.png

A couple of things to note about the above stats:

Think our noise margin has been set high at 9db by the exchange because when we received the new Smart Hub 6 last week it kept rebooting (which I understand the exchange sees as unstable). Hence we installed the filtered NTE faceplate (which the exchange doesn't recognise yet in their above results) and put the hub directly next to it connected with a mere 25cm RJ11 cable. This did improve the attenuation by about 0.5db and fixed the rebooting issue. But I understand it can take a few weeks before the exchange (DLM mechanism) recognises the new 'stability' and reduces the noise margin accordingly.

But does the fact the wholesale results only shows 'Up to 20.5' rather than the full 24mbps (we're only 350m from the exchange which I understand should allow the full 24mbps that ADSL2+ is capable of) mean we have a sub-optimal line/connectors etc.. coming into the house (which are likely decades old)?

And does the faint hiss on the line indicate this? And is possibly something an engineer could fix?

The annoying thing is that days after we extended our BT broadband contract (for another 2 years) GigaClear started offering 100mbps fibre for £17 per month! And I doubt OpenReach will be installing fibre here themselves - ever (so we won't get the opportunity to upgrade for another 2 years) - since why would they dig the roads/pavements up for a second time after GigaClear recently did it throughout the whole village?

So obviously the great thing about fibre is 4K streaming - and what's the point in having a 4K TV if there's nothing to watch on it?! (And I'm hoping the full 24mbps might 'just' allow it.)

Any advice therefore would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

At present your connection speed is right at max attainable so I would suggest you now try and get a stable connection for a few weeks and see if DLM starts to make changes following your previous disconnection problem.

Post back if no change but as you connection is within estimated range not sure BT would belp

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your respsonse.

A couple of things though please:

Since ADSL2+ is capable of 24mbps - is this ever attainable in the real world (less the overheads making sync speed 88.2% of this)? (e.g. living right next to the exchange).

Do you know if 'slight' noise on the line would warrant an engineer visit (and fix) for the landline alone? (Broadband completely aside as you say it's within estimated range - but a landline fix might inadvertently bump up the broadband nonetheless.)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If the noise is so slight you have difficulty hearing it then probably not make much if any change to your connection. You are more likely to get a boost with a stable connection and action from DLM as that is capable of reducing your noise margin which in turn will boost your speed but stable line first.

I have seen posts faster connections than you but they were also actually closer to exchange than you

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks again for your response.

Just say I was completely obsessed with really trying everything possible to maximise every 0.1mbps (in the coming months) in the hope of being able to stream 4K (since we missed out on fibre by a few days by extending our BT ADSL contract instead):

I've read some posts saying the quiet line test should be 'completely' silent.

Would BT generally think I was taking the mickey calling them out for some 'slight' white noise/hiss - as a separate landline fault? (FYI it's not difficult to hear just difficult to imagine it's abnormal in the grand scheme of things.)

Would they still tend to shrug it off as normal/within limits (of a landline)? Or do they ever think 'yea this line/connectors are dated (possibly corroded) - lets take the opportunity to renew them'?

(Sorry difficult question - just wondering if you might have an indication perhaps from other users' experiences on this board.)

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

There is nothing stopping you reporting a phone fault but when they test line they may not agree but you can try.

The probability openreach renewing your phone line when not affecting you calls is remote

Openreach - if not broke don't fix it

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I recently had a very crackly line repaired & it isn't totally silent now. I wouldn't describe it as white noise, more a lower frequency hum. That's with only a corded phone connected & on a FTTC connection. No idea if the cab is maybe responsible. Best suggestion would be to try your phone on a friend/neighbour's line & see how that compares.

You can also text PHONE to 61998 to get an automated line test.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion - tried it just now but they couldn't find a problem.

They offered to send an engineer out anyway but I didn't want to risk having to pay the £85 myself.

And like was mentioned above I doubt OpenReach would replace the 6m wire from the pole to our house just because of a faint hiss!

Shame because I feel a bit cheated into the 2 year <20mbps contract when GigaClear offers 100mbps fibre for even less £s!

I very much doubt BT will put their own fibre in our village.

Would they ever though 'lease' another provider's (GigaClear's) fibre infrastructure? 

(So we can merely upgrade our contract with BT.)

Wishful thinking I guess.

0 Ratings