cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Router disconnecting regularly

Go to solution

Hi,

For the past couple of days, my adsl connection has been disconnecting at around 5pm both days but has also been disconnecting at other times at random.

I have tried a different router, replaced adsl filter, replaced wires as the issue appears to be with internal wiring but I haven't found where the problem may be as everything to be working properly; however the disconnection keep occurring.

I have discovered that after the disconnections the router will take a long time to reconnect, and when trying the quiet line test, this will initially indicate a noisy line, although performing the quiet line test seems to clear the phone line.

However this doesn't appear to last and I need to do it again when the connection disconnects again and was wondering if anyone may know what this may mean and how the issues can be resolved?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Router disconnecting regularly

Go to solution

Sounds like you have line noise and additional a high resistance fault .  The causes problems with connection and dialling quiet line test clears the HR fault but it just returns. You need to report phone fault to  CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@confusedgirl100 

Try ringing your home phone number from a mobile, but let your home phone ring for about 20 seconds before answering it, or if you have an answering machine, let that intercept the call.

There are a number of relay contacts in the exchange which do tend to make poor contact after a while, and the ringing voltage from the exchange line card usually clears the problem.

Occasionally I have the same issue on my ADSL connection, and following that procedure, fixes the problem.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @confusedgirl100 and welcome back.

Sorry you're still having this issue. Great advice posted but the guys. I'd first try @Keith_Beddoe advice. If that doesn't sort the problem then follow @imjolly advice. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly ; @Keith_Beddoe ; @DavidM 

Thank you for your replies.

I tried @Keith_Beddoe solution to ring my home phone number and this appeared to resolve the issue for a couple of weeks; however yesterday the broadband connection went down and has been unable to connect for most of the time.

The quiet line test appears to indicate a noisy line at times; however sometimes it will be quiet but if i try the test again a few minutes later, the line will be noisy.

A fault was raised last night with BT at around 7.30pm and was wondering how long it could take for BT to look into and resolve, as I am working from home and rely on my broadband connection?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @confusedgirl100 ,

Sorry for the late reply. Did you get this sorted? Was the noisy line fault fixed?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @DavidM,

Thanks for your message and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The fault appears to have been resolved and has been completed off.

I was also sent a replacement hub, which has been going ok so far.

I returned the original hub just over 3 weeks ago but this does not appear to have been updated by BT as the status is still as awaiting return, even though the Royal Mail website confirmed the returned hub was delivered and signed for a few days later, and was wondering when this is likely to be updated?

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @confusedgirl100,

It's great to see that your fault is fixed now.

There may be a delay between scanning your equipment and marking it returned against your account. If you have the proof of delivery, I could get this marked as returned for you. You can reach me by replying to the private message that I sent to you.

Thanks
DanielS

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @DanielS,

Thank you for your message.

I have sent a reply to your private message and hope the info provided is ok.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks @confusedgirl100 .

We have your message and will be in touch soon.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings