cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 62

Re: uploading kills my download speed

Go to solution

@mike101 wrote:

The line is overhead, about a mile from the exchange. The last engineer (about a month ago) remarked how "clean" the line was with all the line stats being very good. We are very rural. 

If its overhead aerial cable, then that will pick up quite a bit of radio interference over quite a wide bandwidth, and that will impact on the availability of tone frequencies within the ADSL spectrum, which extends up to 2.2MHz, and includes all of the AM broadcast frequencies.

The downstream SNR will drop, as frequencies become unusable due to interference. The process is fairly complex, and data bits are swapped between different frequency tones.

Some bedtime reading 😉 https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm

When it gets dark, propagation conditions improve, and you can get broadcast stations picked up globally. I expect that you will find that the SNR gets lower as it gets dark.

It may be that there is no option but to increase the margin.

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 62

Go to solution

The other thing to check, which you probably have already done, it to make sure that the router is plugged directly into the master socket, and you have no other extension wiring or sockets connected, as you can pick up interference from within your own wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 62

Go to solution

Yes it's in the master socket. Connection now becoming unusable with several disconnects an hour. How do I request  to have the line fixed at 6db?

My daughter has a full week of online teaching which at this rate she will have to go out for to find a 4g signal.

Sorry to be a pain.

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 62

Go to solution

I have asked for assistance again from @NeilO  or one of the mods. @JohnC2  is around this morning. Case may still be open.

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 62

Go to solution

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 62

Go to solution

Hi @mike101, sorry the change has caused this problem. Neil is off today so I've sent you a Private Message. Please reply back and one of the team will check if the case is still open or open new one if required and help you get this fixed.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 62

Go to solution

Have sent message

Thankyou

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 62

Go to solution

Hi Keith, after a torrid couple of days my line has settled down without any intervention, so DLM must be doing it's thing. Also spoke with @NeilO  and will let him know if it changes.

Thanks again for your help.

Current Rate (kbps)115914335
Max Rate (kbps)117018300
SNR Margin (dB)8.57.1
Line Attenuation (dB)17.339.9
Errors (pkts)300

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 62

Go to solution

@mike101 wrote:

Hi Keith, after a torrid couple of days my line has settled down without any intervention, so DLM must be doing it's thing. Also spoke with @NeilO  and will let him know if it changes.

Thanks again for your help.

Current Rate (kbps) 1159 14335
Max Rate (kbps) 1170 18300
SNR Margin (dB) 8.5 7.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 17.3 39.9
Errors (pkts) 30 0

@mike101 

I though it might.

0 Ratings
Message 60 of 62

Go to solution

So what exactly was the solution to this please?

When I click GOTO SOLUTION it just takes me to a post that states

"Once again, thank you for all your help. My daughter did several uploads today and a couple of team meetings without any problems."

0 Ratings