cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

A BT engineer told me its 'impossible' to move my phoneline to a closer box?

I've moved into a property that's an older building. When setting up my Wi-Fi package with BT I was guaranteed 71MB, not 'up to', guaranteed. They initially sent out an engineer to fit our line, this took the engineer two days but he fitted a new socket filter and the line. I later tested and was barely getting 20MB. I obviously called to complain and they told me they needed to send another engineer, he came out one evening (an hour later than the end of our time slot but he was really nice) and said he shouldn't of even been sent out, as the fault was not inside the property and it was an outside fault, he then booked a different type of engineer. I called BT to find out what was going on ect and they told me the fault could be my HUB and they would send me the latest one for free, this hasn't arrived but 3 hubs have been tested and all coming back with 20mb and less. So this morning this other type of engineer came out (was very rude and grumpy but that's not really the point) and told us he didn't know who told us we should be getting 71MB but that's impossible, we should be getting 18MB and were 'lucky' to be getting 20MB. My girlfriend ,who felt like he wasn't very interested in explaining things to her, called me and put me on the phone to him. He then went on to tell me the speeds we were 'guaranteed' were based on the box in the new buildings next to our road and out box was actually over half a mile away. I asked if it was possible to move our line and he flat out told me its 'impossible' and that it 'cant be done' before, I'm assuming, deciding he didn't want to talk to me anymore and wandering off. I now have to wait for a call back on Friday but I need to know my options.  My question to the community, is it possible to move my phone line to this closer box? surely its more convenient for both parties, it cant be 'impossible'. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: A BT engineer told me its 'impossible' to move my phoneline to a closer box?

Hi @Jgriffin 

It is Openreach that look after the infrastructure, not BT Retail. However I believe they have a policy of not changing the network purely to increase your speed so I would say your quest is impossible. Check what speeds you should be getting below.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Message 3 of 8

Re: A BT engineer told me its 'impossible' to move my phoneline to a closer box?

@Jgriffin 

Its not possible for Openreach to change the external routing, as its a fixed network.

Message 4 of 8

moving your line from one street cabinet to another has been covered many times on the forum and openreach will NOT move your line just to improve your broadband

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

It's more about the multiple visits and false promises for something that should of been  picked up when I initially set up the package.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thank you this makes more sense
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Deleted

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Have a read of BT's Stay Fast Guarantee  which states if you're not getting the minimum speed that was guaranteed, BT have 30 days to get you to it or you can choose your 'right to exit' and claim £20

If the estimated speeds were inaccurate then you can ask BT to release you from the contract, as others have previously mentioned Openreach will not move you to another cabinet to get faster speeds.

0 Ratings