cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Adsl filter problems?

Go to solution
Hello.
Over the past few days I have been experiencing some major connection issues with my bt infinity broadband. It started Saturday when suddenly I noticed my hub losing connection every so often before regaining connection a few minutes later.
Having spoken to bt they have clarified that everything is ok their end and that the fault must be within the home.
The 1st thing they said to check was the adsl filter. I went out last night and bought a cheap one and fitted it.
The results were not great as although now I had a stable connection, my download speed has dramatically decreased from 50mps to 2mbps.
I then reinstalled the previous filter to find although the connection was still unstable, when it was connected I was getting the recommended 50mps.

My question is, is the filter the problem and I just got unlucky with the replacement I bought? Or is there something else to it?
I've since bought and am waiting for delivery of an adsl filter faceplate, hoping that this may rectify the problem.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Adsl filter problems?

Go to solution

did you try replacing the modem cable rj11 which connects hub to filter to see if that made any difference

check to see if there is any line noise when using either filter

dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution
I will try these later when I get home. Just seems strange that both filters I tried had different issues.
The original filter cannot hold a stable connection, yet when it is connected it provides the necessary 50mps download.
And the new filter I tried does hold a stable connection but only provides 2mps, very strange.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution
Also am I right in thinking that if I plug the adsl filter into the master socket with both phone and broadband plugs connected, and they still don't work, then the issue is a bt problem that they need to fix free of charge?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Connect it like this, and if it does not work, and you do not have any additional sockets that still work when you try it, then the fault is going to be external.

infinity_test.jpg

Message 6 of 27

Go to solution
Is there a way of testing it without the micro filter as I feel that this could be the fault?
i.e could I just plug the phone into the master socket and test the phone line somehow?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

you can just connect phone to test socket and try quiet line test I suggested earlier

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution
Excellent I'll try later. Thanks for the advice 👍🏻
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution
*update*

So after another frustrating evening trying all the things suggested above I then gave up and rang bt back. And guess what? After numerous online chats and phone calls over this past weekend of them telling me that there is no fault on their end etc, tonight I got the answer that there IS an external fault and an engineer will be sent out by Friday to repair the fault, stating that I don't need to be home for the repair to be made. Why has it taken so long to come to this conclusion? Did they even bother checking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time around or were they just fobbing me off?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

From other forum post I think it is the latter unfortunately 

so have you connected a filter to test socket and they tried using a new modem/rj11 cable to connect hub to filter to see if this helps