cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Aerial problem - is it the box or not?

I have had problems with all freeview channels since installing my BT TV box a few months ago: The signal strength and quality will drop from ~90% to 0%, usually just for a few seconds, but obviously the picture and sound is distorted or gone completely. 

We have a loft aerial set up by previous owners and I am satisfied it is working fine because there is no problem of any channel dropping when the aerial is plugged directly into my TV. 

After reading other forum posts, I tried 2 different attenuators attached to the box at the aerial input, but they made no difference. 

Is the box faulty? Or is it just a poor quality product that cannot pick up the signal as good as my TV? I will admit I think it is the latter. If so, am I able to cancel my BT TV subscription without paying out the rest of the contract (another 20months!)

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can give. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Aerial problem - is it the box or not?

I had a similar issue on BTTV 4k box the G5. The TV connected to the box had a great freeview signal on its own tuner especially when connected directly to the Aerial and not via the RF out on the BTTV box. Tried the attenuators advised by BT and on here and had no joy.  Also tried replacement box etc. Ended up getting  an inline USB signal booster for the aerial in to the BTTV box ( and plug the USB into the TV).

This then made the picture fine on the BTTV box.  I just think the tuner on the box is poor.

You can find them online for around £10-12.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@CK555 

You only need to use attenuators where the signal strength is too high and with a loft aerial that might not be the case,although high variability is often a symptom of an over highly strength figure .

The twin tuners on these Humax built units are nowhere near as good as those on most TVs and they can struggle to cope with either a too high a signal strength or a too low one.

With regard to the attenuators you used were they fixed or variable - the latter is the one to use btw?

When it's working OK exactly what level of signal strength and quality do you get. An ideal strength figure is probably in the range 85-90% and quality 100%.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Hysteriapyro that looks like my next step. I will have to get over being resentful having to pay extra to get the BT box to work when I have an adequate Freeview tuner in my TV!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply Tim. Yes I was using a variable attenuator and tried it on the higher and lower settings. As you said, I don't think my problem is too strong a signal.

Checking my signal details just now: the signal strength hovers around 83% and quality is always 99-100%. Except of course when both drop to 0% with annoying frequency 😞

Would it really be that much for BT to send out TV boxes that have market standard in built tuners?? As you might have guessed, my opinion of BT is much lower with this experience and I very much doubt I will be a customer linger than my minimum period.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Probably worth considering whether there is some interference occuring due. For example are there any other cables  HDMI etc in close proximitity to  or running alongside the aerial feed into the Youview box.

Also is the problem across all channels - Freeview channels will be grouped into several multiplexes which will be on different frequencies and differing power.

0 Ratings