cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

All inbox emails disappeared. Dispute between BT and Yahoo over ownership / resolution

I monitor my emails multi times a day via iPhone.  Friday last week, all my 200+ emails in my inbox only , vanished. It was not me.  I did not log on via an old device and have no Pop3 issues, they have not been downloaded elsewhere.

I have had this email address for 20 years odd and have a large mailbox and many folders.  I was originally @btopenworld / @btinternet and I am told that was BTyahoo at the time, although Yahoo was never part of my email address, BT was using yahoo servers.  

All the mails in folders remain unchanged and still exist.  I checked on webmail and it’s the same.

I called BT Friday for assistance.  I was told about the migration from Yahoo servers to BT servers but that I had not started yet. I was told that tier 2 had the skills and ability to restore. They referred me to tier 2 who would call me back.  

I got a call today form tier 2 who then said, “the call handler should never have said that, they are always saying that and it was not true.  Tier 2 would escalate this back to the original team as it was not true” he then gave me a number for yahoo help.

I called yahoo, in India, and they said I would get a call within 4 hours. Nothing. I called again and was told that I would get a call back imminently.  2 hours later nothing.  I called again and a guy said it was not a Yahoo issue and I had to go back to BT. They said as the email was @btinternet not @Yahoo they could do nothing.  I didn’t accept this and called off. I called back to get a different operator who told me Yahoo has now been sold to Oaks and I should start paying for yahoo pro and they could do something. He tried to make me pay for pro, without a yahoo address.

I called back BT help who have again referred me to tier 2 who are due to call back again.

This is bonkers! Never have all my emails disappeared .  I am pretty technical and I know these must be on a replication server somewhere and somehow someone has done something.  I have not. I need them restored.

I have a lot of information in that inbox I need and BT and Yahoo are both denying responsibility or ability to do anything.  

If I ever thought once in the last 20 years there could be an issue like this, I would have opened a paid or backed up account.

Anyone got any glimmer of hope to give?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: All inbox emails disappeared. Dispute between BT and Yahoo over ownership / resolution

Hi @nmurphy  sorry that you have lost some emails and that you are getting the run around when you call in.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this. We can't guarantee that your missing emails will be found and restored but we will ensure every avenue is explored to try and recover them for you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: All inbox emails disappeared. Dispute between BT and Yahoo over ownership / resolution

Hi, thank you finally after nearly a total of 4 hours on the phone, 18+ phone calls and numerous lies - eventually I got to the only Tier 2 that told the truth and then they completed one action - and abracadabra - all my inbox has been restored.  Its a total waste of life and every person I spoke to before the one tier 2 guy last night either lied or had no clue and kept telling me nothing could be done / it was impossible / no records are backed up.   In fact if you are still on Yahoo - there is a full restore available.  HOWEVER one thing I did discover that after the migration to the BT new MAIL - there will be NO BACKUP - and there is no possibility to restore anything.  I asked why this had not been made public information and widely known - I cannot get an answer.  

This is not including the 20 calls with Yahoo - otherwise known as Alpha Technical support - who tried to charge me for a restore.  Remember it was not me who did this.

I have full log of all the people I spoke to and when - and what they said.

So thank you - but I have now had a FULL restore of all the data that YAHOO lost - despite the horrific information and misinformation that I was told over 5 wasted days.

Happy days!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yet another reason to use a mail client rather than webmail.  Mail is stored locally as well as on the server and can be backed up with one's regular backup regime.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hello there.  I have exactly the same problem last Wednesday - BT initially said they cannot help but I am insisting they escalate - expecting a callback on Monday.  Same as you - I did nothing - they completely vanished.  Can you please let me know who you spoke to and how you managed to resolve it.  I too have had this email accounts for over 20 years. 

If BT are looking at this - please can you cross-reference with this chap who managed to get his emails back.

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Eventually I got a level 2 person who advised everthing I had been told previously was rubbish.  He instigated a restore with Yahoo and everthing appeared back the next day.  £50 apology and 3 months free phone and internet. Multiple apologies over the next few days.  There is a huge education gap and it totally depends who takes your query - they were supposed to be re-educating the call handlers.! It did my head in for a week - but i kept detailed notes who and when I spoke to and at what time ans how long,  I was in multiple calls totally over 5 hours.  It’s a nightmare - good luck!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

and you have to ask to speak to Daniel in Tier 2 ...... i have no surnames - i think t he person who dealt with the complaint was Tina in the email team.   That’s the best i can give you sorry

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Very grateful indeed!!  I won’t be fobbed off either. Thank you so much 

0 Ratings