cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Another New customer stuck on G.992.1 - the same as other threads

I have recently moved to BT ADSL2+ or so I thought. First my broadband and phone line stopped working when Openreach carried out the work. Then on the day that was fixed my speeds were very low. My phone line is quite long, around 4 KM to 4.1 KM and my attenuation with ADSL2+ with other providers including Be Broadband and later Sky who purchased my Be* account, has been around 52 to 53 dB while on ADSL2+. I used to use ADSL2 which gave an attenuation of around 49 dB/49.5dB and around 7 Mbps down and 1.31 Mbps up. The upload on Sky dropped to 606 Kbps and then rose to 798 Kbps.

On the day that Openreach fixed my line, they had to swap it saying the original line was dead, I got around 5.5 Mbps down and 448 Kbps up which is well under half the speed for upload that I was expecting. While asking about this on a broadband forum someone noticed that my modulation is G992.1 which is ADSL/ADSLMax and not the ADSL2+ which my account was meant to be. ADSL2+ has been at the Kings Norton telephone exchange since around 2007.

I did telephone BT and spoke to a woman about this but she could not fix it after doing some tests and asking me to reset the Smart Hub 2, it is still stuck on G992.1. I have tried my own router, an old IPv4 Speedtouch which has always worked well on my long line but despite having a tool (DMT tool) which can change the modulation it will never sync at anything higher than G992.1.

Can someone please fix this? Below are two very similar threads where it was fixed by RobbieMac.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/New-customer-stuck-on-G-992-1/td-p/1492734 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Upload-Stuck-at-448/td-p/1876901 

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091298+2113025733
Firmware version:v0.27.06.04290-BT
Firmware updated:Fri Aug 13 15:38:43 2021
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours03 Mins19 Secs
Data rate:448 Kbps / 5.824 Mbps
Maximum data rate:1.172 Mbps / 6.400 Mbps
Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off
Noise margin:22.0 / 6.6
Line attenuation:26.5 / 43.5
Signal attenuation:0.0 / 43.5
VPI/VCI:0/38
Modulation:G.992.1(DMT)
Latency type:Interleaved
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:0.1 MB Uploaded / 0.1 MB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-C8CK5Q
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-C8CK5Q
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)
Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
MAC address: <REMOVED>
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

Notice the enormous upload 22.0 dB SN Margin and the Modulation. The download speed is lower than I can get with my Speedtouch which I have just disconnected with a sync of 6946 Kbps/ 448 Kbps 45.0/27.0 dB atten and a downstream SNM of 4.5 dB which was about what it was while on Be* Broadband @ around 7 Mbps. ADSL2 had a more stable SNM at that speed.

I would appreciate it if this could be fixed and my connection could be put onto what I was told that I would have which was ADSL2+.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Another New customer stuck on G.992.1 - the same as other threads

Hi @RedDwarf,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. It does look like your connection is still on ADSL Max. If you send me your details, I'll be able to run a few checks on your line.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

To update this thread, here are the current connection stats. It is now using ADSL2+ and the download and upload are a little bit better, however the download in particular is still over 12% (~7000Kbps) below what I was getting and the upload is 36% (~1310 Kbps) below what I was getting with a previous ISP.

Can you tell me whether the Line Training has finished because there does not seem to be any changes in the last 6 days? I thought it was meant to go on for 10 to 14 days but I cannot remember precisely. I would like to try a different router seeing as I got better speeds while stuck on ADSLMax when I used a different router. ADSL2 was always better for me than ADSL2+ on my previous phone line and I would like to re-sync to an ADSL2 connection using another router which can limit the modulation type.

Therefore has the Line Training finished or when is it scheduled to complete? I don't want to do this until I know that it will not affect the Line Training.

I have not found anything which shows errors for the BT router. Is there any error reporting on the Smart Hub 2? If so where do I find it?

My connection seems to be on Fast Path, whereas in the past it was using Interleaved. I do not know how this is affecting my speeds, although I do know that Fast Path does improve latency at the expense of FEC. Latency is less of an issue because gaming is not that important to me but streaming video and therefore download speed from Youtube etc is more important. From my reading, Interleaving does add error correction which will lower the line data rate because the error correction data takes up space. It might be worth me doing a few more speed speed tests to see how well it is working. The only problem is I only have a few past results on speedtest.net in all the years that I have been on ADSL2/ADSL2+ to judge the current line against.

Therefore is Fast Path of benefit to me?

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:<REMOVED>

Firmware version:v0.27.06.04290-BT

Firmware updated:Fri Aug 13 15:38:43 2021

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020

DSL uptime:6 days,09 Hours48 Mins20 Secs

Data rate:832 Kbps / 6.135 Mbps

Maximum data rate:1.064 Mbps / 6.692 Mbps

Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off

Noise margin:5.8 / 4.7

Line attenuation:24.7 / 48.0

Signal attenuation:0.0 / 51.8

VPI/VCI:0/38

Modulation:G.992.5(ADSL2+)

Latency type:Fast

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:304.2 MB Uploaded / 5.5 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:<REMOVED>
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:<REMOVED>
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:<REMOVED>
Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @RedDwarf and thanks for posting.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The switch to ADSL2+ completed as expected. The order also moved you over to fastpath. Can you let me know if you're having any problems or have things settled down.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi David,

I have been having problems for many months with my connection with me constantly fighting with the damn Dynamic Line Management(DLM) which I always lose. It's damn annoying and the reason why I always had it disabled in the past. I like to tweak my connection to get the maximum speed/stability trade off as possible which is worse than it was before Openreach changed my line which I was not convinced about the reason for doing so.  BTW openreach keep emailing me saying that fibre to the premises is expected within 6 months, which they did in August and did again in January with nothing appearing.

Anyway, the connection can be stable enough, getting around 6 to 6.5 Mbit/s down and 10xx Kbps up using Adslmax which seems to give me the best speeds on this line whereas ADSL2 work best on my previous line. Unfortunately DLM keeps changing the interleaving and noise margin and has increased the interleaving to 160 on ADSL2(+) and 16/4 ADSLMax with 11-12.* SNR Margin. This is clearly affecting the connection speed because my router shows the maximum speed possible being considerably higher. The SNR margin is also badly lowering my connection speed but it is most definitely not that alone. I did not think that interleaving affected the connection speed, only the available bandwidth for error correction but that is not how is seems to be working. There is no justification for using 160 interleave.

My speeds have been terrible since moving to BT and that has never been so bad as this since 2006 when I had a 1.5Mbps internet connection.

I would like DLM to be disabled and let me tweak the stability myself on a 6dB noise profile because I can adjust the downstream noise margin when DLM isn't interfering which it is ATM. As it is ATM I cannot lower the SNR Margin lower than 11/12 dB and that is not needed to keep the stability that I require.

I do not need it 100% stable at any cost because my internet connection is so bad that for large amounts of time it is just not usable. For 3 weeks out of 4 my internet is practically unusable until DLM resets it and returns to more realistic settings. Youtube is not usable with a 4 Mbps internet connection. I would prefer not to have interleaving totally disabled but I do not want DLM setting it to 160 all the time like it keeps doing if I sync to ADSL2. It's 16/4 on ADSLMax which is a lot higher than it is when DLM resets it.

I have too many health issues to deal with ATM to keep messing around with this. A simpler solution would be for me to migrate and leave this hassle behind.

Can you do anything to stop this or is migration my only option? I am really regretting moving to BT with how badly my internet has been messed up.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @RedDwarf and welcome back.

It's good to see you again. I'm sorry you're still having problems with the DLM. I'll be happy to take another look at this so see if there's anything we can do. I'll drop you over a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings