cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT Broadband Extender 600 - Red Data light. Wiring issues?

Hi guys,

I've been using BT Broadband Extenders for quite a while now and all has been fine. I've just now moved in to a new house and the extenders are very iffy.

I'm using the first extender on the bottom floor next to the router, and then the other two floors up in my room. It was working okay for a day with 30-50mb download speeds, then speeds would drop down to 0.5mb (upload 15mb+) and I'd have to change plug socket, which then worked okay for another few days. Then I had to change socket again.

Yesterday and today I had the red data light for a long time, no matter what I did - I tried unplugging, changing socket upstairs, turning power on and off, etc. Just now I tried plugging in the extenders near each other downstairs and I was getting 70mb+ download and 20mb upload. I'm now back upstairs, plugged into the same mains as before, and I'm on a 30mb download and 17mb upload - I'm not sure why it's now working, but I imagine it's only templorary until it goes red again.

I've looked around and I've seen similar issues where the conclusion was about wiring, but I just wanted a second opinion on this - does it sound like a wiring issue? If so, I imagine I'd have to call out an electrician?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Broadband Extender 600 - Red Data light. Wiring issues?

Hi @djrwhysall and thanks for posting.

I think getting the internal wiring checked would be a good place to start with this. It's possible there's a dodgy connection somewhere in the loop so that would be where I would start.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Broadband Extender 600 - Red Data light. Wiring issues?

Thanks for the reply!

The extender failed to work again yesterday and I just left it. I found out that the room where I am (loft conversion) is quite new - built around 5 years ago, so it may mean I'm on a different circuit or something? Would that have an effect on it?

0 Ratings