cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Guest Wifi

We recently bought the BT Broadband, including extra Wi-Fi discs, for a couple of our Sheltered Housing Schemes to enable our residents to have internet access when in the Resident's Lounge and maybe in their rooms.

This was supposed to be via the BT Guest Wi-Fi to separate the Internet/ Network connection for the Office us to that available for the Resident's.

When the engineer arrived to setup the extra discs we were then informed that this BT Guest Wi-Fi only worked from the main hub not from the discs which only extended the main Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know if there is away of extending this BT Guest Wi-Fi using the discs or is it a case of installing a Firewall inside the main BT hub to stop traffic from the main Wi-Fi from getting into the Office network?5

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Guest Wifi

@flookyk 

Is this a BT Business connection?

The extra Wi-Fi discs only relay the main wireless network, not the guest network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I know this, this is what the engineer informed us on his visit, I am looking for any way around it, possibly having to add a Firewall between the Hub and the Office network and run the Office Network on separate internal IP addresses.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@flookyk wrote:
I know this, this is what the engineer informed us on his visit, I am looking for any way around it, possibly having to add a Firewall between the Hub and the Office network and run the Office Network on separate internal IP addresses.

Is this a BT Business Broadband connection?

To get total isolation of a guest network, it has to be done at router level, so that the two paths back to the Internet are separate. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Yes it is
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@flookyk wrote:
Yes it is

This is the BT Residential Customer forum, and the configuration of the BT Business hub is totally different.

BT Business do have solutions for distributed guest networks, as they install them in commercial premises. Even our local M&S have a guest network using BT Wi-Fi.

https://business.bt.com/products/broadband-and-internet/guest-wifi/

All I can suggest is that you talk to BT Business, and see what they can offer, as what you have is unsuitable. They may have suitable wireless repeaters.

There is a BT Business forum, but its difficult to get a sensible reply there, but it may be worth trying. I notice that there are now some BT Moderators running that forum, so things may be better.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings