cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity Dropping out despite BT call out 3 times

Hi, i realise looking through this forum that this issue seems to come up alot on here, however i'd just like clarification before trying to relsove it myself. 

The issue has been going on for many months now where the internet speed has dropped down to around 17mbps download and 5 mbps upload and the internet dropping out completly with the hub going orange. This happens at least once an hour. The hub I have is a BT home hub 5 type B. 
I havent been able to play my PS4 for so long as soon as ive turned it on and gone to play, either the speed is not srong enough or it drops completly. I did  have a sky q box fitted a few months ago, to which the sky installer did say that the box's do sometimes have issue with BT internet. Alsom It's gotten to the point where i do not have my iphone connected to it as it drops out too much. 

I have had 3 technicians out in the time it has dropped. The first said it was an outside fault, possibly at the telephone exchange box (sorry if this is not the correct name). The Hub was also not connected to the main Ethernet socket point which he said may affect it. So he moved it to the main one, with my landline. A few days later another knocked at the door to say he's going to look at it at the exhange box, however i never heard back from him.

Recently, i got another engineer around. He said that the download/upload speed is poor and that there is a fault outside, so arranged for someone to look at the outside line. This engineer arrived and told me that the outside line is fine, he said he "rebuilt" something (sorry again, i cant quite remember what) to bring the speed back up. To which i tested it and it was up to around  30mbps download, but an hour later my hub started dropping out. As an example it seems to be working fine until i try to connect to a game online on my playstation.  As soon as it connects to the severs the flashing light appears on the Hub, also the "b" on the hub lights up orange. (Normally happens if i try it or if i try to download something on my Sky Q box or if im on my laptop)

I did read on one forum about doing this, would this work? 

For some devices you can solve this problem by having different network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. To set this up, follow these steps:
Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to bthomehub.home. This will open the Hub Manager
Click on Advanced Settings and enter your Hub adminiconpassword when prompted. Unless you've changed it, you'll find the default Hub password on the Hub settings card
Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
Click on Wireless
Click on 5GHz
Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to No
Change the 'Wireless SSID' to a new name (we recommend just adding '5GHz' to the end of the existing SSID name so you'll know which one is which)
Click Apply to save the changes

After a few minutes you should see two BT Home Hub SSIDs in the list of networks on your device. All of your devices will still automatically connect to the original SSID name, which will be the 2.4GHz.

Ive also read about doing the dslchecker online and have attached my results. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 13.45.15.pngAny help would be much appreciated, I do realise this sort of issue is very common on this forum. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity Dropping out despite BT call out 3 times

if you have not split the networks then I would follow the instructions and create the 2 separate networks  you can leave password same and any devices capable of both 2.4/5 ghz then you can log into either or both

can you post stats from your hub - troubleshooting then helpdesk

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with cordrd phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity Dropping out despite BT call out 3 times

Hi @Tom1994,

Have you had a chance to try the steps as suggested by @Tom1994?

If so, post back with your hub stats and this will give us a good indication of how your connection is performing.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings