cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT MAIL, IMAP AND IPAD.

Go to solution

Hello,

Friends have recently bought their first IPad (new model and up to date with IOS 13.5). I have tried to help them set up their email account (BT MAIL not BT YAHOO) to use on the Mail app. I have selected the option Other in the Add Account setting, select IMAP entered in email address and password and mail servers clicked done and I get the username password not recognised message. 

I have iPhone, a BT email account and use the Mail app so I checked my settings for server etc and they both matched but it still failed to verify returning the same error message. The password and email address are correct as I used them to log in via the web page.

I didn’t suggest resetting the password as at least they can get emails via webmail.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Ade.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT MAIL, IMAP AND IPAD.

Go to solution

Presumably your friends are BT Broadband customers or paying for their email account via a BT Premium Email account?

If they are not, their email accounts will probably have been down graded to a BT Basic email account which does not allow access via an email client/app. See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

If they are BT customer's it is probably a BT server problem where the passwords are not synchronising between web mail and the email apps on the mobile devices. 

You should stop the devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device or add a couple of characters to the email address so that it is not checking your account. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on the device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change the email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour or preferably even longer to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to the devices, remembering to remove any characters you may have added and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @gg30340 ,

many thanks lots of useful advice. Yes they are BT broadband customers. I will have to wait until we see them again as they are not tech savvy and it is pointless trying to explain over the phone. Also difficult to explain what to do from 2m away. Strange times. 

Again many thanks

Ade

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You could get them to try turning the devices off over night and when they restart they might be lucky and the servers have synced.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

thanks @gg30340 , will suggest that.

0 Ratings