cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 55

BT Sport over ADSL

We know that BT are looking into alternatives to BT Sport via DTT for ADSL customers.

With that in mind my question is has this legal stuff for BT Sport changed recently?

BT Sport on BT TV with BT Broadband – BT Sport 1, 2 and ESPN available in standard definition on BT TV for new and existing BT broadband customers who can't get Infinity. Existing customers must re–contract or have 12 months remaining on their contract. Sufficient line quality and speed (min 5.25 Mbps for existing customers and 6.5 Mbps for new customers) required. You can only watch/record one sport channel at any given time. Compatible box from BT required, fee of £35 – £199 may apply. Terms apply.

It mentions  BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN in SD over normal broadband for new and existing customers. I know a small number of existing customers on BT Vision+ boxes already get this service along with Sky Sports 1&2 in SD but does this legal stuff imply something new? Is the compatible box just the old BT Vision+ box or is this something new for the BT Youview+ boxes as well? Why would new customers need a slightly faster connection (it has been previously stated that multicast decryption is slightly different on Youview)?

Am I reading too much into all this? Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
54 REPLIES 54
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 55

Re: BT Sport over ADSL

Hi Umpire. As this changed too. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45776/kw/Can%20i%20get%20bt%20sport%20on%20adsl/c/640...
at the bottom it states
BT Sport 1: 507
BT Sport 2: 508
ESPN: 509
but for the HD version you need Infinity. Indicating the BT Sports 1,2 and ESPN available over normal broadband?
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 55

Re: BT Sport on BT TV over ADSL (6.5Mbps)

... and see this help page which definitely talks about BT Sport on BT Youview+ over standard BT Broadband.

"As a BT Broadband customer you will only be able to access BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN channels in standard definition on your YouView+ box or Vision+ box.

You won't be able to subscribe to the other Extra TV channels including GOLD, FOX, Comedy Central, Sky Movies, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2. However, you may see them listed in the TV guide. To get Extra TV channels you need BT Infinity."

It looks to me like they are gearing up to roll-out the alternative to BT Sport over DTT. Trials successfully completed?

The wording is probably slightly worrying for those currently also receiving Sky Sports 1 & 2 over ADSL on BT Vision+ boxes though. Would that existing service continue or be killed off?

There is still the question of whether any such new service would be based on the BT Wholesale TV Connect ADSL Multicast service or the Youview Unicast TV service that has been mentioned in other articles and on the Youview web site. My guess, using the TV Connect ADSL Multicast service with just the small number of channels to keep BT's additional costs down. Very much just a guess though. Though of course that might mean those without the Copper Multicast service available for their line couldn't get it? Maybe BT want to avoid all that hassle and use simple Unicast Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 55

I suspect the min speed difference between new and existing might simply be that for existing customers the  alctual  connection speed received would be known whereas for new customers it would be an estimate only.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 55

I think they have also changed the main 'Get BT Sport' marketing pages today. They now mention BT Sport with BT Broadband as well as with Infinity. Is a BT Sport over ADSL service now officially available for subscription? (Not that I care as I have Infinity Smiley LOL )

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 55

Appears to be confirmed:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-sport-now-available-on-bt-tv-without-infinity-broadband/

Need at least 6.5Mbps.

I had noticed that the DSL Checker website started listing 'Copper Multicast' recently - presumably your exchange must support Copper Multicast to be able to get BT Sport in SD over ADSL.

0 Ratings
Midgetgem1973
Contributor
Message 7 of 55

I'm new to bt and I'm on a telephone/broadband (11mbps) and have the tv package (youview box) I've just ordered the sports to work on my tv.... It says can take 24hrs before working, but what I want to know is will the channels just suddenly appear, or should they already show? As I can not see the channels as of yet.

So far I am happy with my service and the speeds I am getting, I will be happier when I can get infinity 😃
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 55

You could always try a re-scan and see if they get picked up. I presume they will be the 507-9 channels (SD sports over IP). We are still wondering if you need multicast copper enabled at your exchange to be able to get it..maybe you could use the broadband checker and let us know if your exchange is enabled for copper multicast...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Here is my line showing the multicast availabilty.       High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)50.735.212.47.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)43.623.912.46.1--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.25 to 2Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Midgetgem1973
Contributor
Message 9 of 55

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange COLNE is served by Cabinet 28
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 6 to 12 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7 Up to 1 6 to 12 Available
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 2 to 6.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
Midgetgem1973
Contributor
Message 10 of 55

So yes it's got the copper multicast available..... If it hadn't I don't think it would of let me order the bt sport in the first place, but it's good to know that it's available anyway. I'm connected at 11mbps and speed test show just over 10mbps
0 Ratings