cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

BT smart hub alternative

Go to solution

I get drop outs/disconnections at least a couple of times a day, its intermittant and have only been on the phone with BT once where its actually happened while on the phone. The light goes amber/green then disconnects my TV (I get a message on the TV to say its disconnected and trying to reconnect) then wifi drops out and same again. Usually reconnects within 1 min or so. Telephone plugged into the line does not appear to disconnect (I know that because i have been on the phone occasionally when this happens - hence blaming the router)

I have gone through all the tests with BT and im blaming the router because previous ISP's ive had have been stable (SKY and Plusnet)

I have read that some people have replaced the hub with eg: Netgear D6400 but threads tend to be old.

Do i insist in a BT replacement hub OR just go for an alternative and if so is the Netgear D6400 still a good one to go for.

I prefer a simple set up if possible and one i can use with other ISP's should i move.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: BT smart hub alternative

Go to solution

I would avoid spending too much money, just to prove a fault.

Try the £35 TP-Link TD-W9970 N300, it would prove the problem, and is also cheap enough to keep as a spare.

More info on menu item 5 on my website linked below.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

have you tried using the test socket with a filter?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

you can phone customer service and see if you can get a replacement hub after try the 2 sugegstions above

many on forum switched to tplink 9980 which that say works well and only £35/40

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

Tried the Test socket before (part of BT check) was ok, even had the router running (Smart hub) for a week in that socket and it still dropped out, trouble is i cant make it happen and its not always the same time during the day.

Did the quiet line test before and it was ok but just done it now and it quiet so i dont think its the line.

Ok on phoning BT for a replacement hub, yes i could do that but ive seen others that have had several replacements and still the same, I think i would rather buy my own. Why i thought of a Netgear was for years (before fibre) I had a netgear and it was stable and never had any issues.

I will look at the TP link and see if i can see any reviews. I note that the Netgear D6400 has come down to £79 in Amazon, wonder if its best just paying the extra.

Maybe someone who has had experience with these hubs could reply ie: im i better with the TPlink or the Netgear D6400?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

Be wary of Netgear, they don't support BT's implementation of IPv6. The TP Link VR600 or 900 v2 models do support it and are very easy to set up.

Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

bit confused when i search for vr900 and vr600 sometimes i get  TP-Link AC1900 (Archer VR900 V2) is this the same, if so then amazon seemed to be saving £40 at £99 and thats direct from TP link. There is only £4 difference with that and the VR600 - will it be a direct replacement for the Smart Hub HH6?

Note: Ive found it at this price in several places so must be a general drop in price. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution

Yes, TP Link tend to call their devices by a number of different aliases. Both would be a direct replacement for the HUB.

Message 8 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks for your help have now ordered the VR900 as there is only £4 difference. Will mark as solved on your original suggestion.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

Just use the wizard to set it up, enter bthomehub@btbroadband.com as username and BT for password when prompted.

Message 10 of 34

Go to solution

got my new TP-Link AC1900 (Archer VR900)

Really simple to set up and faster than the BT smart router, no drop outs (yet) but i normally have at least 2 a day.

I like that its future proof in that it has an IPTV  port, not sure whether i should connect my Roku 3 into this as i normally just use wireless.

Thanks for suggestions its well worth it and at least if i change ISP's i can continue to use it.

0 Ratings