cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 34

Re: BT smart hub alternative

Go to solution
Hi

Just found this thread. Having major issues with the home hub going orange at random.

I have ordered the tp link modem router mentioned in the thread. I use the Orbi mesh net work around the house so have the WiFi turned off on the home hub. How do I set the tp link up to do the same job of the home hub? Ie no WiFi and just pass the internet access to the orbi to send around the house?

Thanks

Josh
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

Go to solution

If the hub is going orange, I doubt it is the hub that is faulty, more likely a line fault which will still be apparent whatever router you use

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 34

Go to solution

You can simply turn the wifi off on the TP Link via the web interface. Do it on both networks.

I also believe there is a switch on the back which does the same thing.

It also worth checking your phone line to see if there is any noise on it, in case you also have a line fault as @licquorice  has said.

vr400 wifi.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

Go to solution

thanks,  will get the line tested as well

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 34

Go to solution

@Joshbear11 wrote:

thanks,  will get the line tested as well

You will have to do that yourself, using a phone, as the BT line test cannot detect a noisy line.

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

Go to solution

thanks.  done the test and completely quiet.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

Go to solution

@Joshbear11 wrote:

thanks.  done the test and completely quiet.

Then you will have to see how the VR400 behaves, as the home hub 6 does seem to be very fussy about line conditions.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

Go to solution

thanks All,

The modem is due to be delivered today.  Do I just switch it on and plug in the cable from the wall that goes to the homehub now or is there something extra to do?   I use orbi for the wifi so I know i need to connect the orbi to the tplink.

thanks

Josh

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 34

Go to solution

Hi

just providing a quick update.  The tp link modem is installed and connected to my Orbi.   One week later (almost), and zero drop outs of the network so it looks like the home hub was faulty.   

Thanks again for for the help.  

Josh

Message 30 of 34

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy