cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT virus protect no longer works after Mac High Sierra upgrade to 10.13.6

Go to solution

Hi

I should have known from previous experience not to install any BT antivirus software provided by McAfee.

Installed  the "free" software on a new high end 27inch iMac running High Sierra, last year, with a few minor niggles like missed scheduled scans it has worked OK until the latest regular OSX update to 10.13.6. After installation of the upgrade there came a warning that it was not compatible with BT McAfee! Unfortunately the Home screen claims that the machine is secure but there is no scan history. However, when checking preferences this is not true and firewall and real time scanning are in fact off. Manual scanning will not initialise and it is impossible to set a scheduled scan. McAfee help line refuse to offer any assistance as they claim it is a BT product! is there any point in uninstalling and reinstalling, or should I just replace this BT product with Intego, that runs without problem on two other Macs!  BT's association with McAfee seems as successful as that with Yahoo whose inferior product we longtime subscribers are still stuck with!  I would welcome a reply from any High Sierra user who has recently upgraded.

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT virus protect no longer works after Mac High Sierra upgrade to 10.13.6

Go to solution

You should have gone with your previous experience and you already know the answer to this other wise you would not have mentioned Intego.

Uninstall BTVirus  Protect. If you don't you will always be just one update away from the next problem.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Many thanks for the reply. Have already binned BT virus protect and installed Intego. McAfee had the nerve to request my rating of their customer support, which they refuse to give to BT users!

Regards

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Around twenty years ago when I first got a Mac I instaled Symantic. It didn't take me too long to realise that there was no need for virus protection on a Mac, and ther still isn't. I haven't had any since as there's enough built in to the OS. They can cause more problems than they solve.

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Agreed . This is an absolutely shameful performance by both BT and McAfee. I am doubly upset that BT doesn't tell you it won't run on HighSierra before you go through the process of downloading and installing. **Edited**

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I can't believe I'm seeing posts as far back as 2018 regarding BT Virus Protect.  I just removed it from my iMac because it nearly stopped it from working.  Malwarebytes sorted my problems.  Mcafee was junk on windows & is junk on latest Mac iOS 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

It's still incompatible with OSX Catalina. I'm going to uninstall it from my Mac immediately as it keeps messing things up.

Had to move house but broadband much better now
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I installed it for a week & it nearly broke the iMac! Uninstalled now. Why the heck do they not know this & stop the install? It never worked that well on Windows without grinding it to a halt. Sorry 😞 

0 Ratings