cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can connect to Wi-Fi but can’t access internet

I’ve had this problem now for a while where I can connect to my Wi-Fi but I can’t get internet access. I have to go into the internet settings on my PS5 and PC and change the DNS server to even get access to internet and even then it’s not good. I pay for a minimum of 170Mbs but I only get around 20Mb. And some devices don’t even connect to the internet and just say “your service provider or router may be preventing access to the internet”. On our phones we have to use our data even when we are in the house.

We’ve had this problem for about 2 years now and it’s getting really frustrating. We have had BT and openreach out on multiple occasions and they have said they’d file a report to sort the internet out but haven’t done so. The BT hub settings are all default and haven’t been changed either so I have no clue on what to do.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can connect to Wi-Fi but can’t access internet

Try disabling Smart setup and leave it disabled whether it makes a difference or not

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for the help mate but still no luck. You’ve been more help that BT. If there is any other suggestions please let me know .

Message 4 of 9

Try clicking on this link, you will be prompted to enter the admin password for your router.

Then click on reset (just below the blue bar) and then click on the factory reset button.

The router will restart, disable smart setup again (as per my previous post) when it does.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

Try clicking on this link, you will be prompted to enter the admin password for your router.

Then click on reset (just below the blue bar) and then click on the factory reset button.

The router will restart, disable smart setup again (as per my previous post) when it does.

Les, there's no link in your post!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

If you want to factory reset your BT hub depending on which hub you have press a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

See link

How do I reset my BT Hub to its factory settings | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Carlusha 

Oooops;  that's what's known as too much Christmas cheer in too short a space of time

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

@Carlusha 

Oooops;  that's what's known as too much Christmas cheer in too short a space of time

Carlusha_0-1640700438738.png

Message 9 of 9

Bear in mind that the wifi connectivity of the hub is separate to its internet connectivity, so as in your case you can have one without the other. Are there any hub stats you can share from  the hub? I forget the exact details but if you logon to the hub you should be able to see statistics. 

By the sound of it, you may may have a fault on the copper line. If you have a BT landline, try the quiet line test - 17070. It should be crackle free. if it is not report a telephone line fault - don't mention a broadband fault.

Before this though do try a factory reset of the hub.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings