cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Can somebody help delete my obsolete BT account?

Go to solution

Hello

I used to be with PlusNet but moved to BT when PN discontinued TV in September - I wanted the sport. I briefly tried the BT Sport app which I could get as a BT customer.

When I moved broadband to BT I got a BT account - the number ends 331. The move was pretty much a fiasco - but that's not what this post is about. One of the problems during the move was that the emails I was sent giving links to the changeover timetable (site survey, civils, installation, etc) contained links which never worked: I would sign in to My BT but it always failed with a big red error message.

After a while I noticed that, at the top tight of the My BT display, was a pull-down with two account numbers and it was showing another account number, ending 135. I worked out that this was the result of trying the BT Sport app, for which I had had to set up an account. My BT was trying to display records for 135 when it should have displayed 331. Mind you, changing that to 331 didn't get the records either.

I rang the help desk on 4/9 to get the 135 account deleted and was told it would be. But is wasn't.

I spoke to the Help Desk on 24/9 after the installation had failed to happen and I still wasn't seeing a schedule. I told them both accounts still existed and maybe that might be a cause. I was passed to Tier 2 support, and it was suggested that the problem might be because it was a PlusNet-related account. However I was assured that the 135 account would be 'zapped'. But is wasn't.

Eventually I got the broadband and BT TV and it all works fine.

BUT ... the email notifying my recent bill has a link to view it. I followed the link, signed in, and was told: Good news - you owe nothing! Well I've seen this movie before, so I changed the account number and could now see the bill. So it seems it always goes to the old account by default. I don't want this old account to plague me throughout my time with BT, and probably screw up any future order, so I thought I'd have another go at getting it deleted. A customer with a similar problem was told on here to do it by chat.

So I did a chat on 9/12. The chatter said she would delete the 135 account, no problem. 'It's done'. However, it's still there.

So my question is IS THERE ANYBODY HERE THERE WHO CAN GET RID OF IT?

Please don't suggest I ring up your help desk.

Thank you for reading.

(My email address is the same for all my accounts, including this BT Forum account which predates the other two.)

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can somebody help delete my obsolete BT account?

Go to solution

Hi, @DaveRo welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry your old account number has not been deleted from your BT ID. 

We'd likely need to raise a request with our BT.com team to get that removed or alternatively completely delete the BT ID which would then allow you to then set it up again with just your BT account number. 

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @DaveRo

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me this evening.

I'm very happy that I was able to get this removed for you. I am sorry that it wasn't removed beforehand.

If you ever need help in the future, please, feel free to get in touch with us here.

Have a great evening,

Dan

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@DanielSand @NeilO 

Thanks for sorting this out 🙂

Dave