cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Cannot get activation code for BT Virus Protect App for Android (Sony Xperia 1)

Go to solution

I have downloaded the BT Virus Protect App from the Play Store and it installed correctly, however when I try to get an activation code it fails after I sign in to my BT Account with the message "We had trouble connecting to the network. Please try again later"

I have restarted the phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, cleared the cache - and all possible combinations and the message is always the same.

As a test I downloaded normal McAffee and installed it and the Free version runs fine - so the problem is entirely to do with BT's process for generating activation codes with McAffee.

As I'm paying for this product as part of my BT Subscription is there a possibility of someone sending me sending me an activation code so I can just get full access to the "normal" McAffee product, please? I cant see any way of "fixing" the BT App (which has this fault reported on the Play Store by several people so it isnt an isolated incident)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cannot get activation code for BT Virus Protect App for Android (Sony Xperia 1)

Go to solution

Hi @DavidWallis,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you haven't been able to set up BT Virus Protect on your new phone. If you send me your details, I'll be able to get this investigated.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Cannot get activation code for BT Virus Protect App for Android (Sony Xperia 1)

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I have literally just managed to sort this one by finding an activation code buried within my Account info and putting that in!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @DavidWallis,

That's great thank you for posting back to let us know 👍

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, I have the same issue, can you tell me where I can find the activation code in my account, please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re: Cannot get activation code for BT Virus Protect App for Android

Go to solution

This is not a phone specific issues it affects all android phones. I have spent a long time this morning on with the support guys at BT. BT have changed their virus protection from McAfee to Norton. The dashboard in the account for security no longer give access to the McAfee security dashboard so you cannot get a code for the Android App, it takes you straight to a Norton security dashboard. If you ask the dashboard to send a link to the phone the BT Virus protect on The Google play store is still a McAfee app and will still asks for a code to activate. Until I rang them the support guys had no idea of the change, they were convinced that the virus protection was McAfee initially were saying the problem was my phone before I pointed out that even the support pages now take you through making the change to Norton.

https://www.bt.com/help/security/anti-virus-software/what-is-bt-virus-protect-and-how-do-i-get-it-

It looks like the changes have been made without the support guys being informed and no update has been applied to the Google play store.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @marwar and @ruflonger and thanks for posting.

The new app went live in the Google Play store around 10am this morning and will gradually get rolled out to customers over time – over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, if you already have the McAfee version of the BT Virus Protect app installed, it will continue to work as normal. At some point later your device will receive the automatic update, which you will need to update on your device - just as you would update any app. After that, you will have to login with you BTID credentials just once to activate. Please note, we are aware of an issue preventing some customers from logging in at present. We’re actively trying to put that right. We’ll be back to let you know when we’ve resolve it.

Cheers

David

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

0 Ratings