cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Connecting to Wireless/Wifi help needed please

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me please?  I am trying to set up Wireless/Wifi on my PC - it has Windows 7.  I have gone to 'Network & Sharing Centre' in Control Panel, chose option 1 which is to set up new connection ort network (set up a wireless broadband, dial-up, etc.) and then at the next stage is says I am connected.  I am so confused and frustrated ...... I've been doing this for days.  I already have wireless for my ipad, which is an Apple and that works fine.  I know that somewhere, just like the ipad I have to add the wireless key and Password, but how I get to that I have no idea.  I have tried BT technical help and the bloke says I seem to have a missing link.  I can't ring the pay for help line and don't know anyone around me that can help.  Any ideas anyone?  I would be so grateful.  Many thanks and regards, Denise.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connecting to Wireless/Wifi help needed please

Are you sure that your PC can be connect by wireless. It will need a wireless network card to do that. Not all PCs can be connected by wireless.

If it can be connected by wireless you will see what looks like a triangle at the bottom right of your screen.

If it has that, you click on it and it will bring up a list of the wireless connections near you.

You then look for the one that has the same name as on the label of your BT Smarthub. It will be something like BTSmarthub6-xxxx. Once you see that you click on it and click on "Connect"  it will open another box where you enter the wireless password/passkey that is on the label on the Smarthub.

Tick the box "Connect Automatically" and after a few seconds you should be connected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for replying so quickly - it's really kind of you.  I had no idea that that was the case.  I see that I can buy a wireless network adapter from Curry's and I'm hoping that that will work.  This PC was built for me and I've not been at all lucky with 'repairs', so I'm apprehensive to take it to another shop.  So sorry to ask you this, but would an adapter be a solution to my problem do you think?  Many thanks and regards, Denise.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

yes  if you get a usb wireless adapter you should also get a setup disc  when you run that it will activate your wireless device  you should then be able to 'see' the wireless networks as described bt @gg30340 and then select your own and conenct using wifi password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi @DeniseS66

I would be a bit surprised if your PC doesn't have a wifi card installed. In Control Panel there should be an option called Device Manager. Open this up and you'll see a new window with a list of devices. Click on the + next to Network Adapters. It should expand and hopefully you'll see two items, an ethernet adapter and a wifi adapter.

If you do see a wifi adapter, double click on it and a pop up will appear showing it's properties. In Device Status it will say if it's working properly or not.

If you can see your wifi card, post back and we'll try connecting another way.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Andy005 wrote:

Hi @DeniseS66

I would be a bit surprised if your PC doesn't have a wifi card installed.

Conversely I would be a bit surprised if a PC that is running Windows 7, so must be more than six years old, has a wireless network card fitted as standard.

Usually the easiest way to check on a PC is to look for an aerial coming out of the back of the PC. It would be unusual for an older PC not to have an aerial if it has a wireless card.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I have an old desktop which has a wireless card, it runs XP and is around 14 years old. I'm guessing at the age but it's definitely at least 12, I've just booted it up for the first time in a long time and the internal clock had reverted to 2003.

It was an off the shelf unit, not a bespoke build.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I did not say that older PCs did not have them fitted or the PC had to be bespoke, I just said I would be surprised as most did not. I presume yours does have an aerial though?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It does indeed have an aerial @gg30340, I think at the time it was deemed 'high end', it was around a grand if I remember correctly. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

If it cost £1000 and was classed as "high end" that would explain why it had a wireless card. Most cheaper PCs didn't have a wireless card to try and keep the cost down.

0 Ratings