cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Contract Differences 12 months for Broadband 24 months for TV

I've just called BT about cancelling my services. I don't watch the TV, I can get better deals on Broadband and Mobile. They're saying that last year I signed up for 12 months Mobile, Landline & Broadband but my TV was 24 months. I never asked for that but apparently it was in an email saying 24 months for TV. BT want a cancellation fee to leave this and now my prices for Broadband etc are out of contract, they've gone up considerably. My only choice is to pay the cancellation fee  for the TV or sign up to another 18 months. This is disgusting and someone somewhere knows exactly what's happening. I had 12 months in mind for everything and the man on the phone says I should have checked the T & C's. This is so sneaky and underhand. How do I escape BT once and for all?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Contract Differences 12 months for Broadband 24 months for TV

How to view your contract terms

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

contract.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. 

I've been in there and it's 12 months for everything Broadband, Calls, Mobile but the TV is showing 24months so another 12 months to go. 

My issue is I specifically asked for renewals for 12 months and I got a price. 

I've not seen the details for TV because in my head I'd said 12 months for everything. Now they're saying either pay up for the rest of the contract or get a new deal on Broadband etc. It's totally wrong. 

Why would I ask for 12 months on everything and agree to 2 years on the TV? 

BT say I cannot leave broadband or the landline either (Even though the contract is up) because it's a requirement for BT TV.

I can't get my head around how sneaky this is.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Yes, the TV relies on broadband and the broadband needs the phone line, so there is not much you can do about it, perhaps you agreed to a special deal for the TV package, which had a minimum term?

You should be able to renew the broadband for 12 months, at a reduced price.

Speak to the BT Value Team on 0800 800 030, and see what they can offer.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi.
If I've made a mistake I'm ok with that. What I don't agree with is that at no point was I told that a"BT" broadband and landline were always going to be required for BT TV. Why not another provider? That was never mentioned. So why not just say I'd need a 2yr contract on everything?. Do you get where I'm coming from? By increasing the TV to two years which I never asked for, they've effectively caught me for everything. That's my point in that the fella selling the renewal was sharp enough to know that and I wasn't.

It's sneaky and I need to put a complaint in.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

You have a 24 month contract for BT TV and BT broadband, your discounts on the BT TV service will last 24 months, your discounts on the broadband last 12 months, with the other 12 months at standard rates.
Within 24 hours of your order being placed you would of had the order confirmed by email or letter, it will outline the duration for the services, you have 14 days from the order being placed to change your mind or query any mistakes, 24 month contracts are generally the cheapest due to the longer commitment, so you have benefitted from a bigger discount rate.

If you're being offered an 18 month deal why not take it ? you're effectively only extending it by 6 months but with a discount Vs 12 months with no discount, depending on what package you have and the discounts offered, it might work out you end up getting the 18 months for the same cost of your 12 remaining months.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

"If you're being offered an 18 month deal why not take it ?"

Because I'm disgusted at how sneaky it was when I took this on. I asked for 12 months and didnt read the terms and I'm now getting stung. Why on earth would I want to commit to BT for another 18 months?

My point is when I start a call and say I want 12 months across the board, I expected that. Not a sneaky 24 months where the Broadband & Landline are tied into it so leaving me with no choice but to go for another 18 months. Can you see my issue with this?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Is there a transcript or copy of the call I can have where I ask for 24 months?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

How do I get a copy of the call where I specifically ask for 24months for BT TV? 

Please provide this? If you have this, I will happily pay to be released. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Hi @Drums73  and thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry there's been a missunderstanding about your contract term. I can appreciate why you would want to get a copy of the call. It's unlikely it's been recorded given the amount of time but you can request details at Our Privacy policy. In particular in the section titled  'Accessing and updating how we use your information'.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings