cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Daily Connection Outages - BT Superfast Fibre Unlimited

Hi everyone, posting in the hope that the community and/or moderators could advise of solving a problem similar to mine.

Long term customer of BT for internet, recently switched from unlimited broadband to unlimited fibre broadband. During that time - 10+ years - there was never any issue of continued daily outages.

Last month (26th June), switched from broadband to fibre as mentioned above. From that switch date, and particularly in the last fortnight, there has been serious problems with outages of hours (whole evenings/weekends) with fibre. To preempt the questions that get asked on here (and I understand you have to ask them)

The problem - The connection is present and mostly stable during the daytime/working hours. The last five days particularly, it is noted that the connection drops at 6-8pm and is out for the whole evening. Over the weekend, there was sporadic periods of uptime during the weekend afternoons. Weekend evenings were complete disconnections. The smarthub sits in rotation of orange, flashing orange, pink etc. Line tests, running the online diagnostics produces no results.

Engineer visited last week with no discernible improvement - in fact, whatever his proposed fix may have been, seems to have made it worse. Just to stress, though, the engineer was extremely helpful and dilligent!

The quiet line test - there is zero noise on the line at any time of testing. During both uptime and the downtime.

The hardware - the problem exists on the supplied BT Smarthub, a BT smarthub from a previous home, and two TP Link routers.

In addition, the problem still demonstrates when two TP Link ethernet adapters are plugged in, or unplugged. Saw this problem elsehwhere and ruled it out.

Broadband cable, filter, adapters, and a mix therein of all have been tried with the same results.

The test socket plug in - no difference, problem is still present

Rebooting and resetting to factory - no difference, problem is still present

Other relevant information - there was a second phone line installed in this house for the days of unfiltered internet. The phone line is long disconnected and when connected to a corded phone yields no sound. Including this info for fullness of the facts as it may be pertinent to the wiring issues.

My layman's diagnosis

There is a problem with my wiring and/or capacity at the box across the road. The connection always cuts out at "peak times" and doesn't recover until morning. Noted though that it can sit out dead overnight. I am fairly confident there is no interference from other devices or magnetic devices etc. Noting again there was never *any* problems of this nature in over a decade of BT broadband.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ63880980

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

29-Jun-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

-

Data rate:

/

Maximum data rate:

4999 / 6920

Noise margin:

0 dB / -5.4 dB

Line attenuation:

4.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 4.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

0 MB Uploaded / 0 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X3MT

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X3MT

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:3C:71:19

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

The engineer is due to visit again Friday, i'd love to be able to provide him with some insight from the community as to possible problems.

Outage log (they are all identical to this)

20:20:45, 23 Jul.

ptm0.101:VLAN VLAN_DATA connected

:connection ATM_TV disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

:connection ATM_DATA disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=99214Kbps, Up Rate=4999Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

20:20:09, 23 Jul.

:VLAN VLAN_DATA disconnected

20:20:08, 23 Jul.

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

And then the obligatory PPPoe failures. Again, emphasising that this style of error is present on both TP Link and BT Hubs which leads to my suspicions about the lines.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Daily Connection Outages - BT Superfast Fibre Unlimited

My related question:

I'm fairly certain this is a BT problem, and it's impeding my ability to work from home and carry out my voluntary work (web based). Also using a lot of 4G to try and keep up with the problem, including buying extra data. Would like to think the period of inconvenience would be recompensed! Don't mean to sound a crank but obviously the "internet service provider" is currently failing to provide a service!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Through the week, the connection has been mostly stable. There was an engineer booked today and I was hoping to hear it was fixed and stable, but no show. Aaaand, as of 5pm this evening - peak time! - the connection has been off. No response here from BT 😞 

Now onto my second data extension for mobile, too..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

can you enter your phone number and post results so can see what speed range expected   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

does seem strange that you drop connection totally at night regardless of router  usually about same time?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

That's my thoughts too, imjolly - it's just too much of a coincidence that the evenings are hit hard, particularly Friday and near all day Saturday/Sunday. My results from your checker are:

Telephone Number 01332****** on Exchange HORSLEY is served by Cabinet 7

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)8079201978AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8079201978AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--3.5 to 8.5Available--Yes 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 13.5 to 8.5Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3 to 7.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)256.85     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)4.290.95     
Observed Date2019-07-252018-11-10     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date10-07-2019      

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Here was today's connection error 

15:59:29, 26 Jul.

:PPPoE error: timeout

15:59:23, 26 Jul.

ptm0.101:VLAN VLAN_DATA connected

:connection ATM_TV disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

:connection ATM_DATA disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=100054Kbps, Up Rate=4295Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

Noting that the clock is out by 1hr as I was at woek circa 1600, not that it makes a difference..?

0 Ratings