cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Debt recovery

Hi so I’ve been with by for around two year,  this month I decided to terminate my contract which left me £300 cancellation fee to pay.. when I rang the first time they said I could pay anything as my final bill had not been produced so they could not arrange for instalments (I only wanted 2 so maybe 3 weeks at most) 

then when my bill came I was told they cannot set up a plan because my account was closed ? 

complete joke and rip off of a company so I paid £100 then and says I’ll pay the £200 when I get paid (2.5weeks later) as with furlough and all the rest I’m trying to sort my finances, I was then told it will probably be sent to  debt recovery before then and they will add interest The whole time I was with BT I never missed a payment not even a late one and when I moved home they couldn’t even get my services up for almost 4 month,

if anyone reads these posts I recommend you avoid BT like the plague horrible company with terrible equipment and even worse customer service 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Debt recovery

Sorry, but i don't see what BT have done wrong here. Why would you cancel your account if you knew you weren't able to pay the fees in full? You don't get the option of paying a normal monthly bill in insrallments so why do you think it should be different for this one?

Message 3 of 10

What you don’t think a huge company could allow someone on 80% wage 2 weeks to settle their account rather than pass it on to a debt collection agency who will add interest, the whole reason I cancelled my account was to reduce my monthly out goings,

Is that me in the wrong ? all I asked was to to pay £100 on the day and £200 two weeks later if you think that’s unreasonable your clearly well suited to BT 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Aspiring expert 😂 I never paid any bill in instalments that’s a silly comment i paid in full on time every month even when they failed to provide a service when I moved home..

So don’t I don’t think you have a valid point 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Companies are entitled to their money as well (no matter the size of them) & what the person on the phone will have told you about is a standard automated process which they have no control over.

Also from March you are aware that they haven't been chasing for unpaid bills etc so there has been a bit of leeway but that can't run on indefinitely either

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Ok your comments are like pulling teeth and totally miss the point, 

no one disputed that BT are entitled to their money all I ask was for a bit humanity and two weeks grace and a tiny bit support  during a financially challenging time but maybe like you BT spat their dummy out because I decided to leave and took this petulant attitude your displaying buy forcing me to pay more than I should.. I personally don’t think what I asked was unreasonable but you clearly do,

I hope you actually work for BT and your not just some pathetic interfering busy body because that would be incredibly embarrassing for you.. 

you have made it all the more obvious to why I do not want to associated with BT in any way shape or form thanks Gary the aspiring expert 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

If it's only 2 weeks it may not make any difference, the key point is the advisor ha dto warn you of potential action as it happen

You mean above the 3-4 months grace they've already given for bill payments?You mention paying more than you should yet you're the one that has chosen to cancel the contract & incur charges nobody else, I'm just pointing out that moaning on here (to mainly other customers btw) isn't going to change the terms & conditions

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The first advisor told me it would be fine and to ring back when my final had been produced then the 2nd advisor told me I can’t because my final been had been produced and if I wasn’t able to pay the balance in full that it would be passed on to a debt collection agency and they would add interest so not only unwilling to help but also putting pressure on? 

I don’t get why you find this so unreasonable all I wanted was to split my bill over two pay dates I can’t see how BT couldn’t help in that situation or that 2 advisors came up with different answers that is my real gripe, but your obviously some sort of **bleep** who can’t comprehend what I’m saying classic BT Costner service “the customer is worthless and is only good for bleeding dry” 

to reinforce my original comment I cancelled because I could no longer afford to pay the the monthly fee for a terrible service with poor WiFi, I never received any grace from BT nor did they offer my any grace when I made the decision to cancel, 

you literally have no idea what your talking about like the first advisor I spoke to 

goodbye you sad little man 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@Andycaseywrote:

Hi so I’ve been with by for around two year,  this month I decided to terminate my contract which left me £300 cancellation fee to pay.. when I rang the first time they said I could pay anything as my final bill had not been produced so they could not arrange for instalments (I only wanted 2 so maybe 3 weeks at most) 

then when my bill came I was told they cannot set up a plan because my account was closed ? 

complete joke and rip off of a company so I paid £100 then and says I’ll pay the £200 when I get paid (2.5weeks later) as with furlough and all the rest I’m trying to sort my finances, I was then told it will probably be sent to  debt recovery before then and they will add interest The whole time I was with BT I never missed a payment not even a late one and when I moved home they couldn’t even get my services up for almost 4 month,

if anyone reads these posts I recommend you avoid BT like the plague horrible company with terrible equipment and even worse customer service 

BT won't pass your debt over to a collection agency until at least 30 days after the pay by date on the final bill. If you only need 2.5 weeks to pay the remaining balance of this will give you loads of time.

You must have gotten a great deal with your new service provider if you are better of leaving BT paying cancellation charges and paying a new service provider for services than just paying BT. 

SP

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Well there you go why could the advisor not if told me 30 days? I feel like that a good example of him putting pressure on for me to pay the balance in full, all I got was it will probably be sent over to the debt collection agency by then, 

and I did if anyone is interested I got my gas, electric and broadband (with a better router which is still managed by Openreach so no real change there) and my mobile phone for £XX a month from utility warehouse only £XX more than I was paying BT.. 

reducing my monthly out goings by £80 so yes I decided to to bite the bullet during these trying times 

Thanks for your input spider pig at least now I know I’ve got 30 days shame an advisor couldn’t of told me this in the first place 

0 Ratings