cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital Voice Extenders

Go to solution

I'm absolutely astonished at the poor implementation of digital voice thus far.  It's made worse by the total lack of knowledge at the BT call centre.  Nobody yet can answer basic technical questions.

So, my question to this generous community is as thus:

We now have digital voice and two new digital voice phones.  I need to distribute the phones throughout our labyrinth of a property and despite the protocol being DECT, it just doesn't penetrate 18th century walls everywhere.

BT have offered the Digital Voice Adapter but unable to confirm (seeing as it appears to enable older handsets to connect to the SMART hub) whether a newer digital voice handset will/can connect.

In other words, if I distribute voice adapters around the property and connect them to the SMART hub, does this enable the new digital voice handsets to connect (and thus creating a form a DECT mesh or extension)?

Many thanks.

Adrian 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Voice Extenders

Go to solution

the adapters are just for connecting old style phones not to extend DECT coverage

this thread may help with alternative

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Correct-way-to-enable-all-BT-sockets-after-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you.
Sadly, we only have one socket in the property and that's where the SM2 is positioned.

If the adapters are not extending the SM2 DECT, then what are they doing?

Ironically, one way of extending the digital voice reach is to implement these but with old phones hanging off them?

Adrian
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@adriannbell wrote:

If the adapters are not extending the SM2 DECT, then what are they doing?

Thy are effectively extending the analogue phone socket on the SH2 via DECT.  Why they aren't also a DECT extender I have no idea!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
OK - that's madness.
So, they extend using DECT but only permit a direct wired connection to a handset...
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, yes!!

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@adriannbell wrote:
OK - that's madness.
So, they extend using DECT but only permit a direct wired connection to a handset...

They are are DECT receivers, just like a normal DECT handset. They just present an analogue interface so people do not have to make a physical connection to the home hub, which may not be in a convenient location.

DECT repeaters are far more complex, and very expensive.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I asked the same question and it went to BT support.

That was nearly 2 months ago.

No answer yet so you have to put with the poor signal.

You cannot use an extender as it looks like the desingers forgot to implement this in the Hub 2.

Obviusly this was well field trialled and the support goup are on top of it  - NOT!

0 Ratings