cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Does anyone else find the ADVERTS intrusive on BT YAHOO

Go to solution

I am really disappointed in BT and the way they have set up emails pages with BT YAHOO.  The advert right at the top of the email lists is far too intrusive.  It is bad enough that I have to put up with adverts in the side columns when I am paying for the service, but to have them at the top of my actual email list in such a way as to be pretending to be actual email - is far too intrusive and I DON'T want it there.

In this day of phishing and scams - it is all too easy for people to book advertising space there and to slip through what ever net there may be in place by BT or YAHOO, and accidently clicking on them is too easy - and then it is too late!

GET RID OF THEM!!!

Yours a very angry customer. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Does anyone else find the ADVERTS intrusive on BT YAHOO

Go to solution

Either use an ad-blocker or better still a mail client rather than a WEB browser.

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

As regards the adverts being there. You agreed to adverts being shown when you agreed to the Terms and Conditions when you first started using BTYahoo. 

You could use an ad blocker such as Adblock Plus in your browser or better still use an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook. An email client does not show any adverts. 

EDIT: Snap!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

When I was on the Classic TV Package, I used to get annoyed about how they let the 5 minutes of programming interfere with the 10 minutes of adverts, so infuriating.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

LOL

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

You assume I only joined recently to sign up for this - NOPE - I joined long ago - long before BT YAHOO and got transferred over - (and have rather foolishly stayed with BT as until recently they are the only ones able to provide what I need).  Originally their advertising was clearly set aside and did not pretend to be emails.

I do use adblocker.  but still they persist.

I do use email client - but often there are issues with syncing - so have to use this web-based rubbish.

Perhaps I expect too much from a paid service not to force adverts into  your face that present themselves as emails where you should only really have emails, especially as I am used to email clients not showing any of that rubbish.

As to complaining to the client - why bother if it just me!?  hence my query about anyone else finding the email style adverts as intrusive.  A question none of you have actually answered.  Interesting, but thanks for your suggestions instead.

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I assume you have re-contracted at some point since you originally signed up with BT a long time ago. Each time you re-contract you agree to the T&Cs pertaining at that time which will probably have changed many times over the years.

As regards your point about if any body else finds them intrusive, if you do a search of the forum I am sure you will find some posts such as this one.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-Yahoo-Mail-annoying-ad-on-top-line/m-p/1476404

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I don't find them annoying personally as I never see them.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Totally agree. It seems to me that some of these ads are fraudulent and the platform is thereby condoning and supporting criminal activity. I'm amazed it has persisted for so long without legal challenge.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Just so that you are aware and to give you a glimmer of hope:-

You are presently on the BTYahoo email system and as the name suggests this is a Yahoo operated system and is only "re-badged" for BT.

BT are presently in the process of migrating all the BTYahoo email accounts onto their new BTMail platform. This move will remove you from anything to do with Yahoo with regards to the email system and the adverts that are on it.

The new BTMail platform still has adverts but they are limited in number and are relate to BT products. They are in no way as obtrusive as those on the Yahoo platform. 

Your email accounts will be migrated on an email address basis meaning not all your email accounts/sub accounts will  necessarily be moved at the same time and you can not request that your email account is moved, it will just happen when it happens.

I would imagine that the migration process timings may be impacted by the present Coronavirus crisis so it will just be a matter of waiting your turn and hopefully you will be relatively advert free at some point in the future.

See links

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

https://www.bt.com/help/email/updating-your-bt-email-settings