Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Ethernet required

Go to solution

Hello,

New to BT.

I have BT FTTP andI want to run an ethernet cable from where the service enters the house to an upstaird bedroom where there are no relevant sockets.

Is this something BT can provide, or do I need to contact a third party electrician/cablecomms co?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ethernet required

Go to solution

Either DIY or get a local tradesman in.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You can get various lengths of ethernet lead at reasonable price from ebay. Depends how you want it fitted really.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You may want to have a look at Powerline adapters as they would allow you to get Ethernet to your bedroom without having to get someone in to run permanent cables.  There are various suppliers (including BT), but you will need to start with 2 ( starter kit usually has 2) one for near your router and one for your bedroom.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Isn't there a restriction on powerline that requires stuff to be on the same circuit?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

As long as both sockets are on the same consumer unit, they should be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Unfortunately not a clear cut as that. If by circuit you are referring to the same phase of a 3 phase supply then yes. With most homes being single phase Good Powerline units should work even on separate breakers in the Consumer unit - but as always there can be issues. Using extension leads to plug the units in can cause performance issues for example.

Compared to the cost of getting someone in to properly install CAT6 cable - thee are worth trying first imho.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Powerline adapters can work fine but won't over a split load consumer unit where the required circuits are on different halves of the CU.

Also speed might be an issue , especially if you've got 500mbps FTTP or more. You could easily be lose half your speed.

Hardwiring is really the only option in my view.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

Powerline adapters can work fine but won't over a split load consumer unit where the required circuits are on different halves of the CU.

I think it depends on type, adapters will often work across the 2 halves.

Also speed might be an issue , especially if you've got 500mbps FTTP or more. You could easily be lose half your speed.

Hardwiring is really the only option in my view.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

If you look at the whole home or complete Wi-Fi product the remote disc has a usable Ethernet port (carried over Wi-Fi) so depending if you need the speed that may be suitable 

if you are buying cable make sure it’s cat 5 + so it can support the speed, there are still 10 mbs cables  being sold 

0 Ratings