cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Extremely slow internet speeds.

Hello all.

So I've been having a problem with my broadband for about a week now. 

Basically the internet is dropping to speeds so slow I am unable to even open a webpage. I have done a few broadband tests and when I'm able to get a connection it shows pretty good speeds.

I'm unable to watch netflix or anything that requires a connection as it keeps dropping out, The modem is staying blue so there is no problem there and there is no problem in my area regarding services.

I don't use a landline phone so the modem is plugged straight into the master socket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Extremely slow internet speeds.

Product name BT Smart Hub 2
Serial number 2021093798
Fireware version v0.17.01.12312-BT (Mon May 11 18:49:53 2020)
Board version R01
GUI version 1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime 0 days 1 Hours 38 Mins 39 Secs
Data rate 828.0 Kbps / 16.7 Mbps
Maximum Data rate 1.6 Mbps / 18.3 Mbps
Noise margin 11.5/3.4
Line attenuation 14.4/27.5
Signal attenuation 0.0/36.5
VPI/VCI 0/38
Modulation G.992.5(ADSL2+)
Upstream error control Off
Downstream error control Off
Data sent / received 260.4 MB Uploaded / 1.8 GB Downloaded
Broadband username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-Fi Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name BT-X8AGGF
2.4 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network name BT-X8AGGF
5 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel36)
Wireless Security WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode Mode 1
Firewall On
MAC address 18:82:8C:37:F5:60
Software variant -
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

@TheButcher 

You would get a much faster speed if you upgraded to VDSL, if that is what you want, otherwise your ADSL speed seems fine.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

The speeds have been fine for the last year, it's only the last week that it's been almost non existent.

2 nights ago I did upgrade to 50mb fibre for £2 extra but thats not being activated until the 18th, hence why i have the Smart Hub 2 ..

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Maybe you don't use a landline phone like many others but as your broadband is delivered over your phone line any noise is a problem. You really need to check for line noise by dialling 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone.  You can cheap corded phone for <£10

if there is noise then that will have a negative effect on your future vdsl connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 21

@TheButcher 

Just to add to what @imjolly  has said, VDSL will suffer lots of disconnections and slow speeds, if there is noise on the line. That is something you need to check, preferably before you get upgraded, as you can report a noisy phone line, and it normally gets sorted quickly, once you have checked it yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Ok , I've borrowed a phone from next door and done the noise test, there is absolutely no noise on the line. 

What are my next steps?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

If the hub light is staying blue that suggests connection is ok and seems to be confirmed but the conenction speed. Is the problem your download/throughput speed?  Are you using Ethernet or wireless connection when you get the problem?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Hub light stays blue and problem is only download speed upload seems unaffected. Factory reset gets the speed back up but then drops again almost immediately
0 Ratings