cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

FTTC available - full capacity or not.

Ive recently moved into my current property, around 3 weeks ago, when I ordered broadband, about 4 weeks ago, I was only gvien the option to order basic broadband via BT - I checked the wholesale checker and the result seemed to be that the cabinet was full for FTTC which was enabled. I was dissapointed but nothing to be done - so I ordered in the hope that a slot may become available, as a side note is there any possible way of getting onto a waiting list for an open slot or is it simply luck of the draw, first come first serve when a line is cancelled as any inquiry ive made has given me a "Im unsure".

When the engineer came out to do the line - Friday 6th, he remarked that the house had a fibre master socket and that the cabinet was fibre enable as he had put another house the next street over onto it just the week before, and questioned why I had opted for basic. I explained that it seemed the cabinet was full and he offered to have a quick swing by the cabinet as an openreach engineer was currently at it and he'd just check to see if it was at capacity. He returned and said that it seemed to him that there was actually spare slots in the cabinet but he couldnt tell me why they werent available to order or if there was some sort of issue and to ask BT by phone, which I did. However when I asked I was told they didnt know themselves and gave me a seperate number to call and said they may know more possibly. (0800 111 45 67) When I phoned the second number after some time on hold while the respresentative was looking into my query he said that fibre wasnt available in my area at all, and would possible be rolled out within the next six months, when I pointed out that there seemed to be evidence that the previous owners had a FTTC connection and the engineer himself said that it was available to the house and the cabinet was enabled he simply repeated that he wouldnt know why that was and that it was not available in my area.

I had originally intended to phone back once I had my hub delivered - which was not sent when I originally ordered the package - it wasnt put on my whomever had dealt with it - I had phoned about it on the Friday after the engineer came as it should have turned up then - I have since been assured it is on the way despite being told it would be no later than the following Tuesday (10th) I am still without one as of today - 16th.  However every time I phone BT I seem to get nowhere so i've decided to try here and see if anyone has any ideas.

bt.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: FTTC available - full capacity or not.

The wholesale checker shows the FTTC ‘cab’  as waiting list , so currently no capacity,  TBH, I’m not sure what constitutes proof of a FTTC connection at the property as ADSL and VDSL look the same at the master socket .

Chances are either the  customer service rep was referring to  FTTP when they are said ‘fibre’ is unavailable at all  ( there is no FTTP  on offer ) or was mistaken.

There is a waiting list procedure, whereby the longest waiting for a port gets the first one to become spare but a representative of another ISP on another forum stated that most ISP’s don’t subscribe to this process so it does becomes a case of the first order made when a port is available gets it , so best to keep checking.

If an ‘engineer’ checked in the cab and recons there are spares , but the wholesale checker says there are none, TBH, ISP’s can only go with the info the wholesale checker delivers, so even if it’s true ( and it probably isn’t ) that there are actually spare ports , it won’t help , it’s even possible that extra ports/cards are now fitted but that may not be the only work needed to bring them into service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

FTTC isn't available to  you as it shows "waiting list" which no-one knows actually exists. The engineer wasn't (obviously) an Openrech one as he said he had to swing to the cab to check. An Openreach one would have known.

The only thing you can do is keep lookin at the checker and order as soon as it states "Available". The best time is after 15.00 when the final updates are made for the day.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@iniltous  I think you missed this bit.

"I explained that it seemed the cabinet was full and he offered to have a quick swing by the cabinet as an openreach engineer was currently at it and he'd just check to see if it was at capacity."

Would you like me to tell you what  an Openreach engineer may say to a Qube ehngineer???

0 Ratings